T E N

Rejection
____________________________________

"You came," Draco said coolly as I climbed the final step to the top of the Astronomy Tower.

"Don't sound so upset. You're the one who invited me here," I responded.

He shrugged and waved me over to where he stood at the edge of the tower and by the railing that overlooked Hogwarts.

"Why did you want to meet?" I asked as I leaned against the railing.

Draco glanced down at the ground far below us and sighed. "I don't really want to beat around the bush so I'm just going to come out and ask."

What is with these Slytherins and asking me questions all of a sudden?

"Shoot," I spoke as I glanced up at him.

He sighed and seemed nervous - a major first.

"Aw, did the cat get your tongue?" I mocked.

"Shut up, will you, Potter?" he spat harshly, catching me off guard and making me stop.

Draco took a deep breath and finally made eye contact with me. His cold eyes pierced into mine as he opened his mouth and said something I never thought I would ever hear him say.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

I wanted to laugh, and I probably would have. Except I froze up and found myself speechless as he looked at me intently.

For whatever reason, a part of me wanted to say yes, but this was Draco Malfoy!

"So?"

I cleared my throat. "After all you've done to me over the years?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. "Like hell I would."

His mouth dropped open and a smirk appeared on my face. I knew he was shocked because he never gets rejected since he's a spoiled little brat.

"You want me!" he said, "I know you do!"

I chuckled softly and shook my head as I started to make my way to the stairs. "Then prove I'm more than just a bet to you!" I called from over my shoulder.

-

-

-

I was completely embarrassed. Who does she think she is to reject me? Dating me would have been the greatest opportunity she would have ever had.

A slow clap came from nearby and I turned to the direction it came from. Theo emerged from behind a wall. My face burned red.

"Looks like I win," he taunted.

I glared at him. "Why are you spying on me?"

"So I can make sure you aren't cheating, but you might as well accept the loss now considering she knows it's a bet."

I crossed my arms. "No. I want to double the wages, actually. If she knows and I earn her love, then it'll be an even bigger accomplishment."

"Or it'll be a major failure and you'll be 800 galleons poorer."

"I'm up for a challenge."

Theo raised an eyebrow and held out his hand. We shook on it and the entire time, he wore the cockiest smirk.

"Why do you want to keep trying? Has Potter intrigued you or something?" he mocked as we began to make our way to the common room.

I made a gagging face . . . but it felt forced. "No. I just figured I need some action in my life."

Theo nodded, but did not seem convinced at all.

-

-

-

I entered the Great Hall the next morning  which seemed to be more alive than usual. It was buzzing with whispers and as I walked by, I received many looks of respect from all houses.

I found a seat next to Ginny at the Gryffindor table. She also gave me one of the looks.

"Okay, why is everyone looking at me like that?" I asked as I began to pile food into my plate.

"Because you rejected the Draco Malfoy, of course!"

I could feel my cheeks turn a slight red color. "How does everyone know about that?"

"I heard from Harry who has been spreading the news, but I believe Theo Nott was originally the one to tell people."

I rolled my eyes and looked at the Slytherin table. Of course, Theo was surrounded by a group of people. He looked very animated as he told a story which I assume to be the one going around Hogwarts right now. Draco was nowhere to be seen.

-

"What you did was impressive, Y/n," Theo called out as I walked to class later that day.

I ignored him and continued on my way, but he caught up to me, not taking a hint that I was ignoring him.

"Thanks. Do you need something?"

"No, I just wanted to say thank you for humbling Malfoy. You know how he is."

"Yep, anytime. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to be late to History of Magic."

"Let me walk you there," he said as he took my books from my hands and carried them.

"I'm capable of caring for myself," I responded as I attempted a grab at my stuff.

He smiled down at me and held the books over his head, making it impossible for me to grab them.

"Whatever," I mumbled.

And so, a few minutes later, Theo led me into the classroom. He set my stuff down at my desk and pulled my chair out, keeping eye contact with Draco the whole time who was also in the class.

"I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but it isn't working."

"Not working? I beg to differ."

Theo pointed across the room at Draco who was not even hiding the fact that he was staring at us. Rage was written all over his face as he gave his quil the death grip.

"Alright babe, I'll see you tonight," I responded, my voice raised so I could piss off Draco.

A smirk appeared on Theo's face while he licked his lips. "Good girl," he whispered before making his way out. I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing.

Someone took the seat beside me. It was Draco. Of course.

"What?"

"You reject me, but then I find you all over Nott!" he cried. "What does he have that I don't!?"

He sounded rather alarmed as he spoke which only made it funnier.

"Well, he has an amazing personality as he hasn't bullied me since the day I met him and he is also so hot."

Draco looked incredibly offended. "I am hot! Definitely hotter than that curly-haired freak! My personality is also very charming."

"Charming my ass."

He stared at me, making my cheeks burn red. There was something so penetrating about his stare that even I felt the need to be quiet.

"You will learn to love me," he growled.

"Nope. I know you too well to love you."

He chuckled in a hostile way. "Potter, you don't know what's about to hit you. I'll be the most charming person you've ever met, and you won't dare to turn me down, ever again."