T H I R T Y - T W O

The Dark Side is Less Than Glorious
_________________________________

It all happened so fast. The green light flashed and it was too late. My heart shattered as I watched life fade from his eyes... his being the one and only parental figure I ever had.

Sirius.

In his final few seconds, he held eye contact with me, but then he stumbled through the veil, and that was sadly the last time I would see the person I loved most.

I collapsed to my knees, but no tears came. My breathing was shallow, but when I finally gained control of it, a loud scream escaped my body.

I sat up from where I lay in bed, my breathing heavy and my body drenched in sweat.

That was my third time this week having that dream.

I buried my face into the palms of my hands while a pair of arms wrapped around me.

"Was it the dream again?" he asked.

I nodded and he stroked my hair, which helped me calm down. Slowly, I stopped shaking.

Draco placed a gentle kiss to the top of my head, but still kept his embrace around me.

Slowly, I began to calm down. We settled back into bed and Draco soon fell back asleep. I was another story though. I was left thinking why I was suddenly getting these nightmares. For the first month or so of being back at Hogwarts, it has been enjoyable. The Slytherins have really helped me put my situation behind me. However, I suddenly started having these dreams, but I have no idea why.

When morning came around, I still had not slept at all.

When Draco woke up and asked how I slept after my nightmare, I told him I slept fine after. I do not need him worrying about me on top of fixing the cabinet. He refuses to admit it, but the cabinet is giving him a hard time, and he is super stressed about it.

I know because he comes back late at night after working on it. He even skips classes to work on it sometimes.

But putting that aside, a while later, we made our way to the Great Hall. As usual, dirty looks were received from those in Gryffindor, but I should be the one giving them those looks. They are the ones who left me to grieve on my own. Every single one of them is a terrible person.

As we walked by them though, Draco and I held our chins up high and ignored them. It is crazy to think, but I have not talked to any of them upon our arrival here. Not even Harry, but hey, we're siblings, and when do siblings ever get along?

However, I know for a fact Harry only thinks Draco and I are back together. He has no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but he does not need to know either, obviously.

"Your brother pisses me off," Draco commented as we sat down at the Slytherin table.

I laughed softly and nodded. "I'm sure many people can agree with you on that one."

Draco leaned in close so only I could hear him. "But don't worry, he'll be gone very soon."

I glanced straight ahead, to where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sat at the Gryffindor table. Harry was staring at me, which was the first time we have ever even made a gesture towards one another since we got back to school. I think it was then that it clicked with me, about the side that I was apart of, but hey, my friends and Harry did this to themselves.

"You've gone quiet," Draco commented.

"You're observant," I replied. "But yeah... I can't wait."

He smiled and placed a hand on my thigh. "All those years of being in his shadow will soon be no more."

I nodded and glanced back at the Trio. They were getting up to leave for their first classes.

But what Draco is saying is true. Both of us have been in his shadow for years now. It's always Harry this, Harry that, Harry, Harry, Harry. I hate it and I am sick of hearing his name. There is nothing special about him.

I am surprised no one sees what is to come because he deserves what is coming for him.

-

Time seemed to go at a crawl, while at Hogwarts. As the year went on, I could see Draco change. I knew he hated school, but it, alongside so many other things, was having a major toll on him.

It was late one night, and he wandered into my shared dorm with Pansy, who was staying with Blaise tonight.

The dim light that I was using to do my school work casted upon his pale, ghost-like skin. His eyes were tired and he had obviously lost weight.

He sat on my bed and buried his face into his hands. I moved to my bed, from my desk, and he buried his face into my hair. I had no idea he was this upset and stressed.

"Draco..."

"I-I can't do this. The Cabinet will be way more difficult to repair than I expected," he admitted.

Throughout the first few weeks of working on the Cabinet, Draco has refused to have any help. He wants to do it all on his own. Maybe that has changed now.

"Do you want my help?" I asked.

"No."

"But I don't want you getting in trouble because you couldn't—"

He cut me off. "I'm fine. I know what I'm doing."

I rolled my eyes. So stubborn. He complains about how it's "too hard" but then refuses help from anyone.

"Please just promise me you'll reach out to Snape or me if it becomes too much. I don't want you dealing with the consequences."

He sighed and removed his face from my hair so he could kiss the top of my head. "Yes, love. Of course."