Breakout 14

Kiji stood in Cell 13. "I'll be taking over as Building 13's supervising officer today." The four looked at him, crisscrossed. He put a hand to his cheek and winked. "I'm Mitsuba Kiji. Nice to see you again."

In an instant, Nico, Rock, and Uno exploded into tears. "I'm scared!" They hid behind Akiri who was reading her book.

"Why are you guys crying?! I came all the way out here to Building 13 for you!" Kiji snapped.

"Huh? It's in the same prison, isn't it?" Rock asked, still hiding behind Akiri. Akiri put down her book, also interested.

"Jyugo, is this prison that big-" Uno stopped himself and the four slumped down.

"Oh, yeah. He's not here." Rock looked down.

Nico sighed. "It kinda feels weird, since he's always with us."

"Hn. His presence was always comforting." The girl crossed her arms. 

'Crap! I can't make any carless comments.' Kiji pursed his lips.

"The cell kinda feels bigger now," Uno muttered.

Rock's shoulders slumped. "I wonder if he's eating right."

"Hn. I hope there are blankets to keep him warm. He gets cold easily," Akiri carried on.

"I wanna see him up and about soon." Nico whimpered.

Tears built up in Kiji's eyes. 'These kids! Friendship between inmates! How beautiful!'

"I guess this'll do for the time being," Uno said as he folded the blanket up into a roll and taped a drawing of Jyugo's face on it.

"Yay, it's Jyugo-chan!" Nico cheered up, smiling.

"It's his usual lethargic face all right." Rock approved.

"Dotards, you just ruined the mood." Akiri deadpanned. She stood up, cracking her stiff bones.

"No sense of aesthetics at all!" Kiji yelled. "Seems like you guys don't know the first thing about this prison." He placed his hands on his hips. "Then let's learn about the layout of Nanba Prison today, shall we?" Akiri perked up. 'Oh? Free information.'

"Wha?" "No complaining!"

Kiji snapped his fingers and a hologram appeared on the wall, showing Japan. "First, take a look at this."

"Oooh. What is this feature?" Rock looked around the room.

"Nanba Prison is an impregnable prison fortress on a remote island, floating somewhere in Japanese territorial waters," Kiji began his explanation.

"Where is this somewhere in its territorial waters?" Uno drly asked. He was ignored.

Kiji switched the slide, showing the prison. "It's huge!" "Cool!"

"In addition to the thirteen prison buildings within it's high, thick walls, there's a general reception area, headquarters research facility, an arena, a shopping mall, a movie theater, ski slopes, etcetera."

"Why would you build those in a prison?! Who's using them?"

"I wanna go to the movie theater!"

"The recreational facilities are for officers only," Kiji clarified.

"Are there any markets or farms?" Rock wondered.

"Why would we have those? That's absurd," Kiji answered.

"But you have ski slopes!" Rock pouted.

"The buildings are led by supervising officers based on their unique traits." Kiji switched the slide and pointed. "This is building three." He then pointed at the end of the chart. "And here is building 13. It's about a thirty-minute monorail ride between them."