Black Eye

May 4th, 1962

I wake up and change into a black tank top with Jean shorts and of course, my black converse. My style is very basic but sometimes I completely change it and look like a different person.

"Good morning Hun."

"Morning mom."

"I've gotta go to the grocery store today, do you want to go?"

"Uh yeah, sure."

Bill's sitting at the table doing paperwork and Scotty comes back into the kitchen. He looks almost disappointed.

"Well?"

"He's too busy mom."

"Oh no honey, no he's not. He has some time. You go on back there and ask him."

He comes back at least five minutes and he shakes his head.

"He's too busy."

"Oh whatever." She walks into the dining room and talks to Bill.

"Bill?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh, couldn't you take a break and teach him now?"

"Mom, it's okay, really."

"Honey, I said I would, and I will, but I'm under the gun here."

"How long could it take? Can't you spare half an hour and show him now?"

"Mom, really, it's okay." She shakes her head and forces him to turn around.

"Alright."

"Okay. I'll get my glove."

"See? I told you."

"Oh, great."

They walk to the backyard and me and mom discuss what all we're gonna get from the grocery store while I eat my breakfast, bacon and biscuits.

"Ow! Ow!"

"What happened?"

"My eye."

"Honey, get some ice. Ice."

"No, I got it." Bill brings back a bag of peas, I swear he can be so stupid sometimes.

"Here you go."

"Those were for dinner." Mom scolds him and he just stands there and looks at her.

"Just hold it up there."

"I just kept my eye on the ball, Mom."

"You weren't supposed to actually keep it on the ball." I smack my forehead and shake my head

"Yeah, but you caught it. Just keep that on for, like, an hour. It'll still be black, but it won't swell. Sorry." He winces and pats Scotty on the back.

"Gotta watch out for that curve."

"You'll get there eventually Scotty."

~~~~~~~~

"Hey Isabella!" Benny yells from across the street as I'm getting in the car.

"Hey!"

"Are you still gonna come to the sandlot today?"

"Yeah I've just gotta go get groceries."

"Okay, just meet us at Vincent's Drug Store."

"Alright."

I get in the car and mom is raising her eyebrows up and down.

"No." We both laugh and look up at Scotty who's sitting on the porch holding his broken glove.