Early Birthday Present

June 26th, 1962

We're playing ball and Bertram has his radio playing 'I can't stop loving you' by Ray Charles but we can't really hear it. We're getting ready for the game against Jordan.

"Okay guys, let's go!" Benny yells and we all run to the dugout to get water. We walk to his field and they're already playing. We get field first and I stand in center field.

"Hurry up, Batter. It's gonna be a short game, I gotta be home by lunch." He taunts the batter and he just glanced at Ham "That's one. You know, if I had a dog as ugly as you, I'd shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards."

"The Heater." He screams and DeNunez smirks "Here it comes. I dare you. Strike three, you're out."

"Hey, is that your sister out there in left field, naked? She's naked!"

"Shut up Porter!" Jordan yells and I quietly laugh.

"Hey, hey, hey. I'm just trying to have a little friendly conversation. Come on. You think she'd go out with me?" He continues to taunt him and then he hits the ball to third base

The boys throw it to Timmy and get him out. We cheer and then some kid I've never saw in my life goes up to hit. 

"Watch out! He's a new one, pretty good." The boy hits the ball and it comes straight to me. I catch the ball and everyone cheers but the Tigers, other than Jordan who looks proud.

~~~~~~
We run to the dugout and talk about the lineup. Bertram is hitting first and then Ham, me, Scotty, Yeah-Yeah, Timmy, Tommy, Squints, Denunez, and then Benny. The plan is, if we start hitting bad that Benny's gonna be last and then we'll get a point and I mean, we probably won't lose but just in case.

"Okay boys and girls! Let's go!"

"Yeah!"

"Go Bertram!" He hits the ball to outfield and gets to second before they even throw the ball in. He dashes for third and makes it because the short stop dropped the ball.

"You got this Ham." I pat him on the back and he runs out.

"Give me all you got!" Jack smirks and pitches the ball. Ham hits the ball to left field and runs for first. He gets to second and then they throw it in.

"Oh god." I'm terrified, it's my turn

"Hey, you're gonna do great. You've got this, just breathe."

"Yeah! Go Isabella!"

I pick up the bat and stand in the correct position. I breathe in and out and then nod. Jack pitches the ball and I hit it all the way to the fence. I get to third and they throw it in. Jack drops the ball so I run to home plate and boom, I get hit with a ball in the side.

"Hey!" The boys run out from the dugout and glare at Jack. Jordan runs over to me and I close my eyes.

"You're an asshole! I was right there, there's no point in throwing it that fucking hard."

"I didn't mean to! I'm sorry." I stand up and finish walking over to the home plate. I was maybe a foot away from it so not much walking done but eh.

"Okay, Scotty you're up."

"Alright." He sounds hesitant but picks up the bat anyways.

~~~~~~
By the end of the game we win by a lot and the Tigers look like they would rather be anywhere but here. We start to walk out of the field and Jordan screams.

"Belle!" I turn around and he's running toward me.

"Here, I got you this. I know your birthday isn't until September but I'll be gone and I didn't know the next time I would see you."