Chapter Twenty Seven

I sat in silence on the way back from the hotel. Jay was sitting next to me, staring out the window. Max moved to my other side and wrapped his arm around me. I didn't respond, I almost felt numb. The shock of what had happened finally seemed to hit me. I silently thanked my lucky stars that the boys had managed to track me down. The overwhelming sense of relief that I felt when I spotted Max's face was intense. Now I just felt numb. I could feel Nathan's eyes burning into me as he sat opposite me. I knew he was concerned about me.

I snapped out of my thoughts when we eventually arrived back at the hotel. I slowly stepped out of the cab and looked around nervously, worried about who might be lurking in the darkness. I glanced suspiciously at some locals as they walked past. As soon as they were out of sight, I quickly ran into the hotel. I didn't like being outside in the dark, I felt exposed.

I quickly reached my room and bolted the door. I drew the curtains, and perched on the edge of the bed, looking around the room nervously. I felt poised for an attack, not knowing if or when one was coming. I just couldn't seem to relax.

You're being stupid Anna! I told myself as I closed my eyes and took deep breaths.

I squealed slightly as I heard a knock at the door.

"It's okay it's just me." I heard Nathan say.

I sighed in relief as I quickly crossed the room and let him in. As soon as I saw him I threw myself into his arms.

"My god, you're shaking." he said gently.

"I'm fine." I said quietly as I reluctantly let go of him.

"I'm just glad you're okay, if we hadn't got to you in time..." he started.

"But you did." I said smiling bravely. I couldn't let him see how much the experience had and still was effecting me , I needed to protect him. It was obvious that he felt guilty and I didn't want to make him feel worse.

"Thank god." he whispered as he hugged me again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked.

"I'll be fine." I reassured him.

"I'll let you rest." he said quietly.

I felt my heart rate begin to increase as he walked away from me. I was terrified to be left alone. I considered asking him to stay with me, but I didn't want to be a burden.

"I love you Nathan." I called after him.

"Love you too." he grinned.

I threw myself onto the bed and stared up at the ceiling. I knew that I was being silly, I shouldn't be this afraid. I'd been lucky enough to escape. I had no idea how long I lay there, staring into space.

"Anna, are you awake?" I heard Jay's voice whisper.

"Yep." I said as I sat up.

I looked at his face and saw a deep sadness etched upon it. He quickly crossed the room sat next to me.

"I needed to check you are okay." he whispered.

I smiled and laid back down on the bed, my back to him. I was struggling to control the tears. I'd been able to pretend in front of Nathan, but Jay seemed to be able to get under my skin. No matter how high my walls were, he always seemed to be able to climb over. I didn't want him to see me upset again, I knew that he was hurting enough.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked gently.

I shook my head. I felt him lay down next to me. Just being in his presence made me feel raw and vulnerable.

"What can I do to help?" he tried.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I sniffed.

"No you're not." he whispered.

I felt him move across the bed so that he was resting against me. I smiled slightly as he leant his chin on my shoulder. I turned over and looked into his concerned eyes. I couldn't pretend any longer, I never could seem to control my feelings in front of him.

"Don't talk, just hold me." I pleaded as I crawled into his arms.