Chapter Thirty Nine

Jay's POV

"ANNA!" I screamed again.

I knew that she couldn't hear me, the line was completely dead. I had no idea what to do. I didn't even know what had happened.

I quickly called the police and explained to them what I'd heard. I hung up and sat on the stairs, staring at the phone, desperately hoping for news.

Time seemed to drag as I waited. I couldn't take it any longer. I stood up and began to pace. I needed to know that she was safe. I couldn't bear the thought of her being hurt or maybe worse... I mentally cursed myself for even thinking that.

I jumped and ran to the phone as it started ringing.

"Hi is that Mr Mcguiness?" a voice asked.

"Yes." I said nervously.

"Hi there, it PC Anderson we need you to come to the hospital." a female voice said.

"Oh my god, is she okay?" I asked panicking slightly.

"We'll talk more when you get here." she said quietly.

I hung up and quickly grabbed my keys. I ran to the car and pulled away at record speed. I reached the hospital within a matter of moments.

"Where is she?!" I exclaimed as I ran over to the police.

"She's in surgery." she replied.

"What?" I whispered as I leant against the wall to keep my knees from buckling.

"She had a serious car accident." she said.

"What happened?" I asked as my head began to spin.

"A lorry hit her car from behind and forced her into another car." she stated.

"There has been a fatality, so we'll need to speak to her when she recovers." she added.

"Is she in some kind of trouble?" I asked.

"No, we are confident that she wasn't the one at fault, it's just standard procedure." she reassured me.

She handed me her card.

"Make sure she calls this number." she said before walking away.

I perched on one of the chairs in the waiting room and put my head in my hands. I couldn't believe this had happened. I couldn't stop thinking about what might be going on inside the theatre and whether or not she was okay. If I lost her my whole world would shatter. I would be nothing without her. Why did the things that matter the most have to be taken away. I wanted to take her place.

This was the second time that I'd failed to protect what was most precious to me.

I looked up as the doctor walked over to me.

"Are you here for Anna?" she asked.

I nodded, nervous about what she was going to say.

"She's had quite a severe impact trauma and she is bleeding internally, she's in theatre at the moment." she told me.

"Will she be okay?" I asked quietly.

"It's hard to tell but we are doing everything we can." she reassured me.

I watched as she walked away. I found myself longing to follow her, to see Anna. I didn't even stop the tears that were rolling down my cheeks.