Chapter Two

I jumped out of my skin as my alarm woke me. I quickly switched it off and flung off the covers. I gasped as the cold morning air hit my exposed skin.

I quickly pulled on my uniform and began to apply some makeup. I didn't want to go into work. I felt sick to my stomach even thinking about it. Don't get me wrong I loved my job, but lately things had become difficult.

I looked up as I saw Jay wander into the bathroom.

"What are you doing up at 6am, you don't usually rise till lunchtime?" I called.

I laughed as he stuck his middle finger up at me before closing the bathroom door.

I wandered downstairs and quickly grabbed a banana. I sighed in relief as I heard Jay leave the bathroom. I had to brush my teeth and head off or I was going to be late. I quickly opened the bathroom door and froze in shock as he stood in front of me completely naked.

"I guess I forgot to lock the door." he said quietly.

I stared into his eyes, I had to concentrate, don't look, don't break eye contact I told myself over and over.

"I was just getting out of the shower." he said slowly.

"Yes." I said snapping out of my thoughts.

I quickly left the bathroom and closed the door behind myself. I couldn't deny how handsome he was. I knew in my heart that I had been in love with him for some time. But I also knew that he didn't think of me in that way. Why would he. He was handsome and talanted and I was just a student.

I jumped as he walked out of the bathroom fully dressed.

"Do you want me to give you a lift to work?" he offered.

"Nope, I can walk." I said quietly.

"You sure?" he asked.

I nodded and wandered into the bathroom.

I looked at my watch and saw that I was running late. Great, now I'm going to get into trouble.

I quickly grabbed my jacket and keys and began the long walk to work.

My footsteps were heavy as I dreaded getting there.

I knew that I just had to carry on with my job and keep my head down. I needed this placement to be able to complete the course. I couldn't afford to lose it.

"Don't just stand there, go and clean something!" the head nurse snapped at me. I lost count of how many times she would snap and shout at me on a daily basis.

I didn't want her to know how much it got to me, but I couldn't help it. I quickly grabbed a cloth and began to wipe the walls down. I faced away from her so that she wouldn't see the tears that were falling.

I kept glancing at my fob watch counting down time until four pm.

"There's someone here to see you." the receptionist told me as she came through to prep room.

"Who is it?" I asked quietly as I quickly wiped my eyes.

"I don't know, but he's hot." she grinned at me.

I smiled at her.

I heard the prep room door open and saw Jay's curly head of hair coming around the corner.

"Hey." he said casually.

"You can't be here." I hissed as I grabbed his hand and pulled him into one of the wards.

"We aren't allowed visitors out the back, you're going to get me into trouble." I told him staring to panic.

"I just thought I'd pick you up so that you don't have to walk." he said kindly.

"Oh god." I whispered as I heard footsteps.

I jumped slightly as the door to the kennel block opened and the head nurse glared at me.

"Who is this?" she said impatiently gesturing towards Jay.

"I'm Jay, I just came to collect Anna." he smiled.

"Oh how very sweet of you." she said kindly.

I stared at her in complete shock. This woman had been bullying me for months, criticising my every move and undermining me every opportunity she got yet here she was acting as if butter wouldn't melt. I was seething.

"Don't let me hold you guys up then." she said sweetly.

Jay smiled.

"You ready to go?" he asked.

"I just have to grab my things." I told him.

"I'll meet you in the car then." he said before walking away.

"Is he your boyfriend?" she asked as soon as he left.

I shook my head, she always did this, she always had to find out the gossip.

"No, he's just a friend." I said quietly as I put my jacket on and picked up my bag.

I walked past her and made my way towards the exit.

"Probably for the best, he's much to good looking for you." she called after me.