Chapter Twenty One

"That film was so weird." Max chuckled as we walked out of the cinema.

"You chose it." I pointed out.

"Yeah coz Jennifer Lawrence is in it." he admitted.

I laughed.

"I definitely wouldn't say no to Liam Hemsworth." I grinned.

"Nor would I." he grinned.

We both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"I've got a stitch now." I gasped as I clutched my sides whilst still laughing.

"I'll have to carry you home then." he grinned as he picked me up.

I screamed as he picked me up.

"Put me down." I giggled.

"Nope." he winked.

I tried to squirm but he was to strong for me.

Despite my protests he carried me all the way home. Eventually he set me down at the doorstep. I smacked his arm playfully.

"I'll make you a coffee." he said as we walked into the house.

"Max!" I called after him as he walked towards the kitchen.

He turned towards me and raised his eyebrow.

"Thanks for cheering me up, I really needed it." I said.

"It's what I'm here for." he grinned before heading into the kitchen.

I wandered into the lounge and saw Tom laying down on the sofa with Kelsey.

"You're back." he whispered, trying not to wake her.

I nodded.

"I think you might be in trouble." he grinned.

"What for now?" I asked.

He jerked his head towards the doorway, I looked up and saw Nathan standing there.

"Thank god you're still here." he said as he walked over and hugged me tightly.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I frowned in confusion.

"Max said he found you at the train station the other day, I thought you might have gone back to Nottingham." he stated.

"I've got nothing to go back for, I'm staying with you." I reassured him.

"Until I kick you out." Tom piped up.

"That's nice Parker!" I grinned.

I smiled at Nathan and made my way into the kitchen.

"I decided to make you a hot chocolate instead." Max said as he handed me a huge mug with cream on the top.

"Are you trying to fatten me up?" I grinned as I took the mug from him.

"Nope, just thought you needed a treat." he said gently.

"Thanks." I smiled at him.

He smiled back at me and watched as I took a sip of the hot chocolate.

He smiled at me and began to chuckle.

"What?" I asked.

"You've got cream on your nose." he grinned.

I blushed and quickly wiped it away.

"You're adorable." he stated as he watched me intensely.

I watched as he placed his mug onto the counter and leaned towards me. I flinched slightly as his lips brushed against mine. I kissed him back. The kiss felt different to the way it did with Jay. With Jay it was tender and gentle, where as Max it felt more intense and passionate. I pulled away from him as my thoughts wandered to Jay.

"Sorry." he whispered.

"It's okay, I just need to get my head straight." I admitted.

He nodded.

"I'm off to bed, I'll see you in the morning." he said as he hugged me.

"Night." I called after him.

As soon as he left the room, I sat down at the table and put my head in my hands. Now I was even more confused about things. I felt close to Max but I didn't realise that I'd given him the wrong impression. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt him in the same way that Jay had hurt me. But I only thought of him as a friend, didn't I?

I sighed and sat in silence for a while, trying to gather my thoughts. I looked up as Nathan entered the room.

"Do you want a hot water bottle?" he asked as he filled up the kettle.

"No, I'm fine thanks." I said.

He put the kettle on and sat next to me. I frowned at him as he placed his hand over mine.

"I know you've been upset lately, it must have been hard moving away but I want you to know that you can talk to me if you need too." he stated kindly.

"I know I can." I said smiling falsely.

"I've got your back." he grinned.

I smiled at him, not really sure what to say. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about it.

"You just need to be careful." he said quietly.

"Careful of what?" I asked.

"Well.." he started.

"Nathan just spit it out!" I said impatiently.

"I'm...not sure if it's...my place to say." he said impatiently.

I raised my eyebrow at him and waited for him to continue.

"I know that you and Max are getting close and I don't want him to take advantage of you." he stated.

I stared at him in shock.

"We're just friends." I reassured him.

He raised his eyebrow skeptically.

"He has a reputation for being a ladies man, and I don't want you to get hurt." he stated.

I smiled at him.

"I'm off to bed, been a long day." I said as I stood up.

My head was spinning as I walked up the stairs. Did Max really think of me like that and if he did how did I feel about it? Why did life have to be so complicated?