Chapter Forty

A week later

Jay's POV

I stood in silence as the service began. I hated funerals, always had. I sniffed sadly as they began to talk about the fulfilling life that she'd had. I turned and saw that Max was crying in front of me.

"You okay buddy?" I whispered.

He nodded and wiped his nose with the handkerchief I'd handed to him. Nathan stood beside me, holding Sophie's hand tightly, asthough he was afraid to let her go. Things had been so hopeful for all of us, and then the rollercoaster happened. I wanted to get off this ride that seemed to be my life. I'd had enough. Why did decent people always have to pass away.

As soon as the service was over, I left the hall and made my way home. The guests would soon be arriving for the wake. I needed some peace and quiet for a while.

I made my way upstairs to my room and threw myself onto the chair.

"Hey." I heard Anna say huskily as she stirred.

"Morning beautiful." I smiled at her.

"What time is it?" she asked as she stretched.

"Almost noon." I chuckled.

"WHAT?!" she exclaimed.

"Why didn't you wake me?!" she added.

"You've not long been out of hospital, you need to rest." I told her sternly.

She glared at me as she climbed out of bed and quickly dressed.

"But now I've missed the funeral." she stated.

"I'm sure Max will understand." I pointed out.

"He's my friend Jay, I'm meant to be there for him, you know how close he was to his Grandma." she said as she left the room.

I sighed and followed her. I watched her closely as she walked over to Max and hugged him tightly.

"I'm really sorry I missed it." she said quietly.

"It's okay I understand, how are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm fine." she smiled.

Max smiled at her and turned his attention to the other guests.

"Can I talk to you?" I asked Anna as I took her hand.

She nodded and followed me into the hall. I smiled at her as she perched on the stairs and looked up at me. I leaned on the banister.

"I'm sorry, I know you feel bad for Max but I was just looking out for you." I told her.

"I know, it's very thoughtful, but I feel bad." she admitted.

I sat next to her on the stairs placed my hand on her knee.

"Max has plenty of support, I need to take care of you and our twins." I winked at her.

She smiled down at her small bump.

"We're fine." she reassured me.

"Glad to hear it." I grinned.

"We always will be, our little family." she sighed happily as she rested her head on my shoulder.

I rested my head against hers.

"We'll always be together no matter what." I whispered in her ear.

AN: Okay guys, that's the end of this book. Thanks for all the reads, votes and comments :) x