Chapter Five

The journey to college seemed to take forever. I thought it would never end. Jay was true to his word and sung virtually all the way. As much as I loved the tone of his voice, it soon became quite annoying.

"I've written a new song." he told me proudly as we neared college.

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow as I looked up from my books.

"Do you want to hear some?" he questioned.

"Maybe later." I said quietly.

I knew as soon as the words left my mouth that I sounded harsh.

"I'm sorry, I'm just uptight about the exams." I whispered.

"Well stop worrying it will be fine, you'll be a vet nurse before you know it." he grinned at me as he pulled into the college carpark.

After we parked he carried my bag upstairs for me.

"I'll take the sofa." he stated as we entered the dorm and saw the double bed in the middle of the room.

"I can take the sofa." I argued.

"It's fine." he insisted.

I smiled at him and began to unpack my things.

"I have to go to check in soon." I said looking at my watch.

"I'll come with you, if you want?" he offered.

I nodded at him, and gathered the paperwork that I would need.

I smiled as he followed me. I was so lucky to have a friend as kind as him.

"Hey." I heard a voice call from behind me as I stood at reception.

I turned around and saw Hannah from my class.

"Hiya, how are you?" I said as I hugged her.

"Good thanks,you?" she grinned.

"Fine thanks, nervous about tomorrow." I admitted.

"Me too." she giggled nervously.

"We'll have to look after each other." I grinned at her.

She was one of my best friends from my class and one of the only people who knew about the problems I was having at work.

"You ready to go?" Jay said as he appeared behind me.

I frowned as I saw Hannah staring at him. She didn't break eye contact.

"This is Hannah, and Hannah this is my friend Jay." I said politely.

"Hi." she said quietly as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Hey." he grinned.

I looked between the two of them as they stared at each other, flirting with their eyes.

"Do you want to go out for a drink?" she asked, eventually turning back to me.

"You are invited too Jay." she giggled.

"Just for a little bit." I said quietly, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Eventually we made it to the bar and the three of us sat down with our drinks.

"Shall we dance?" Hannah said excitedly, looking at Jay.

"I'm fine, I'll wait here." I answered.

"You sure?" Jay asked me.

"Yeah I should probably head home soon anyway, get an early night." I whispered.

He nodded and stood up. Hannah squealed excitedly and grabbed hold of his hand, pulling him after her.

My stomach churned as I saw him place his hand on her waist as she linked her arms around his neck. I watched them as they danced together. My heart felt like it was breaking as I saw him slowly lean in and kiss her gently. I stood up, completely transfixed on them. I had been longing for months for him to kiss me like that, yet here he was kissing someone he had only just met.

I couldn't watch anymore, I grabbed my bag and ran out of the club. I ran all the way to the hotel, tears blurring my vision. By the time I reached the hotel, I was sobbing.

I needed him so badly, but he would never want me. Impulsively I wandered over to his things and picked up one of his jackets. I put it on and sighed, it smelt of him. I almost felt like he was with me. I quickly climbed into bed and put the hood up. I closed my eyes and cried myself sleep.