Chapter 23

"Do you understand the gravity of your actions?"

"Yes, Hyung."

"There are consequences for breaking our laws."

"I'm well aware."

"We follow a strict code."

"I know."

"Then you better have a fucking good reason for doing what you did!" Taeyong slammed his hands on the desk, rising to his feet. Both Winwin and Jeno were startled by the sudden action, looking at him to see the furious expression on his face. "What could possibly be the reason for someone with no violent tendencies or history, to almost beat a man to death?"

Jeno faced the ground again, keeping his hands behind his back and breathing heavily. Winwin stood by Taeyong's desk, desperately praying that Jeno tells his brother the whole truth. His loyalty to Taeyong stopped him from interfering the conversation, but he did not want Jeno to face punishment for doing nothing wrong.

"If you must fulfil your duty as the leader, then I'll accept any punishment you give me."

Winwin's eyes went wide at Jeno's words, he almost wanted to smack the boy on his head. Taeyong on the other hand, squinted his eyes as he clenched his jaw. He could not believe his ears, his hands balled into fists.

"What did you just say to me?"

"I said-"

"How dare you!" Taeyong ran to Jeno, grabbing his biceps to shake him violently. Jeno stared at him with teary eyes, frightened by his behaviour. If it was anyone else, Taeyong might have punched him by now, but his heart clenched at the sight of his baby brother crying. His grip weakened, and his gaze softened as a hint of betrayal flashed his eyes. "How dare you assume that I'm asking just to fulfil my duty as a leader? Is that all I am to you?"

Winwin watched the rare, enervated side to his boss as he spoke. Jeno's words hurt Taeyong, it made him question whether he had been lacking as a brother. He might not have always been able to be there for the boy growing up, but he had been trying to make up for it since Jeno's return.

"I'm sorry Hyung, I know that I've disappointed you. I'm ashamed of myself, I disobeyed you. You should punish-"

"Jeno, you need to tell him what really happened that night." Winwin cut the boy off, unable to stay quiet and watch anymore. Taeyong lifted his head, surprised to hear Winwin interrupt Jeno. He never interrupted anyone, let alone Taeyong himself. This made him realise that there was more to the story than just a run in with an enemy.

"What's he talking about? Listen Jeno, you have to tell me everything." Taeyong put his hands on Jeno's cheeks, making the boy face him. His bloodshot eyes made his brother take a sharp breath, it made him realise how much Jeno was affected by what he had done. "I know you wouldn't just get in the way of a fight with some random thug for nothing. What happened?"

"He threatened Noona."

"What? What do you mean threatened her?" Taeyong raised a brow, puzzled by his brother's response. Jeno's face was telling him that there was more to it, but he had not yet caught on. "Since when did petty threats bother her? The Yuna I know throws her fist before the other person can complete their sentence."

"They weren't just petty threats."

"Then what? Please don't tell me that you put a man in a coma just because he made an empty death threat. You know that she-"

"They were rape threats."

Jeno's voice was barely above a whisper, he turned to face away. Taeyong froze on his spot, dropping his hands to the side. Hearing the words from Jeno, Winwin shut his eyes and clenched his jaw in anger. He was furious with himself for ever letting the man come near Yuna, he took all the blame in his mind.