Chapter 24

Yuna woke up to soft mumbling voices around her. She could not completely open her eyes or move her body, so she tried to focus on the voices. She could only make out one. The one that mattered most.

"Sungchan, you did a good job. I can take it from here, don't worry about her."

"I'm sorry Hyung, I tried to tell her she needed to be frequent with the dressing and medicine."

"She's stubborn, I know that. It's not your fault, okay? You can go."

Yuna wanted to roll her eyes, but she was still unable to get up for some reason. Other than that, she also wanted to hear anything else Taeyong had to say about her. Maybe she could learn something important by pretending to be unconscious.

"What are we gonna do about all this?" This time, it was another voice. One all too familiar, the one that never failed to comfort her.

"I don't know, but for now, we focus on her getting better. Anything else can wait." Taeyong paused, giving Yuna a moment to blush at the thought of him prioritising her. Last thing she remembered was him roaring like a lion, refusing to listen to what anyone had to say. Hearing him calmly discuss her well-being was heartwarming for her. "Doyoung, she's still asleep, let her rest. I'm here if she does wake up, but there's someone who needs you more right now."

His friend instantly understood who he was referring to. Jeno needed Doyoung right now, more than anyone else. Taeyong had been harsh on him, it would take Jeno time to warm up to him again. It was as if all the progress they made had gone down the drain with one mistake. Mark was a supportive brother and Jaemin a caring friend, but what Jeno needed right now was a parent. Someone who would shelter him from all his troubles, and Doyoung was the only one who could provide him that comfort. So with no questions asked, he instantly left the room after nodding at his boss and sparing one last look at his sister.

Yuna heard Doyoung's footsteps leave the room, and the door close. She waited longer to see if Taeyong left or if anyone else spoke up, assuming there was anyone else. When she heard nothing else for awhile, she got a bit flustered at the thought of Taeyong being in a room alone with her again.

"I know you're awake."

She almost flinched hearing his husky voice. She wondered if she should get up or just pretend to be asleep so that Taeyong would just leave or think he was wrong. It would be embarrassing to get up now. To her dismay, however, Taeyong was not fooled.

"Might as well get up Yuna, I can see you clutch the sheets and furrow your brows."

Admitting defeat, she opened her eyes slowly, only to be met by the soft and tired gaze of the man she loved. He had a loving expression on his face, which brought a gush of memories back to her. It reminded her of all the nights he would come to her, bruised and exhausted. Yet, he never forgot to give her the one look that he gave her every night without fail. The one where he knew, that when his eyes met hers, he was home.

"Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like the stars and moon don't exist. Like the world could crumble around you and you wouldn't blink. Like how every woman wants to be looked at."

Taeyong smiled at her, sadness taking over his face. He could see the tears that were threatening to spill from her eyes. If only she knew how right her words are.

"Why can't I look at you like that?"

"Y-You just can't."

"Why not?"