Chapter 44

Daughter of mine -
for your smiles,
for your tears,
for your skinned knees,
and your broken hearts,
for the love you give,
and the love you find.
For whatever you become,
or don't,
it is far too late,
I love you already.

You may have borrowed the words from a poet, but I know you meant every syllable when you read them out to me. I wonder if you would still feel the same, when you see my state right now. Whether you will wash away my sins, like how you used to rid me of all the dirt when I was a mere child.

The air that I breath.
The beat in my heart.
You're the tear in my eyes, when we're apart.

But you've been apart from me for longer than I can remember the time I had with you. How do I move on? How do I convince myself that you would have embraced me regardless? Would you tell me that I turned out like this because I'm not your blood?

"Yuna."

She heard his voice, even the echo of his footsteps as he closed the door and walked towards the bed. Her eyes were out of focus, only seeing a blurred silhouette of a man squatting in front of her. It was not until he put a hand on her leg that her eyes met his.

"She would be ashamed of me."

"No, don't say that." He whispered, his heart sinking as the words left her lips. He could see how much this pained her, because it stung him just as much. Seeing the girl covered in blood, even the stench was making him nauseous. "Eomma loved us unconditionally. Nothing would change that, not even this."

"Yeah but you don't really know that, do you?" She challenged her brother, her eyes boring into his. Jungwoo's sweet porcelain face was all scrunched up in anguish and misery, and she hated being the reason for his smile disappearing. "Because she's not here to tell us anymore."

"No she's not. But if she was, she would tell you the same thing that I'm telling you now. You are more than your mistakes, you are much greater than your sins. Even the gods question your reasons before chastisement."

"Only a child of god would believe such sayings, Jungwoo. You and I both know that I'm anything but that. I stopped believing in any god the day this earth swallowed our mother whole." It was the truth, she had no faith in a greater power anymore, she prayed to no god. Her wishes and prayers only touched her mother in the stars, Yuna could only let herself believe in her spirit. "I didn't make a mistake, I did exactly what I wanted to do. There was no need for me to kill the man."

"I know. You did it to save Haechan's pain."

Her head whipped towards her brother crouching on the floor, surprised to hear him voice her true reasoning. She did do it for Haechan, but she did not think that any of them would catch on so soon. His past was an uncomfortable and sensitive subject for the members, Johnny had worked long and hard to make sure the boy never took a life again. He was still a sniper yes, but a non lethal one.

"How did yo-?"

"You think I just met you?" He gave her a sad smile, making her sigh and look down.

"I couldn't let him do it. Johnny would have been devastated, it would kill Haechan. Jaemin has a sister he should be thinking about now, she shouldn't have to deal with this just yet. Not now, not ever really. So the Amsaldan rules only left me, I had to do it."

Jungwoo nodded, holding her hand as a tear dropped from her eye. He took out a handkerchief from his pocket, softly wiping it across her face. A lot of the blood had dried up, but he managed to clear her face a bit.