Chapter 37

Doyoung could hear the fingernails tapping against wood over the phone, drilling into his ears. Being away from home meant more calls and virtual meetings to keep track of what was going on in their association.

"Johnny, you're thinking too loud."

"What?"

"I can hear you tapping the table. What's on your mind?"

The man looked down at his hand, realising that he had been subconsciously hitting away at the ply. Retracting it, he balled his fist, letting out a loud sigh. "I don't know man, but something is not right. I can feel it."

"What are you talking about?"

"We've had Jisung for a week now."

"So?"

"So nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's frighteningly quiet in Seoul, Doyoung. Sure the Hantte has always refrained from stepping on our toes, but this time we are the ones who overstepped boundaries. We meddled in their family matters, it's not like them to just let it go."

"You're right. It feels too good to be true. Maybe this is the calm before the storm."

Johnny hummed in response, staring through the glass that gave him a perfect view of Seoul's skyline. The tense atmosphere in the headquarters was suffocating him, so he found himself rushing to his office. He strode in donning his three piece suit, regardless of the fact that he had no important work at the moment.

"Have you spoken to Taeyong? I assume he must have gotten some update from Ten by now."

"He vanished back into the Manor the day after you left. I'm guessing that has something to do with Yuna."

"They seemed fine when I was there?"

"It was your mother's death anniversary, he had to be there for her." Johnny explained, as politely as he could without sounding insensitive over the matter. Doyoung nodded to himself, urging him to go on with a hum. "And about Ten, last I heard, Hendery lost connection with them. They haven't been able to contact Ten or Lucas for three days now."

"What! And you're only telling me this now?"

"What could you have done if I told you any earlier? Rush to China looking for them?"

"No, but you should have told me anyway. Ten is my frie-"

"And he's my best friend. I'm worried too, Doyoung. But this is Ten we're talking about, he's survived more dangerous encounters than most of us combined. And with Lucas by his side, they can weasel out of any situation."

"You're right. They'll be fine." Doyoung agreed, comforted by the man's faith in their resilient friend. Lucas was a sweetheart to them, but extremely good at his job. "I'll see you when I get back, take care of our kids."

"We are not coparents, and they're definitely not our-"

"Hyung!" It was not one, but two voices which echoed through his chambers. His eyes landed on two figures at his door, lighting up his mood. Haechan and Chenle, only the two most important people in his life.

"Hey kids! What're you doing here?"

"Not our kids my ass."

"Bye Doyoung." Johnny instantly hung up, already feeling him roll his eyes. Turning his attention back to the boys who had invited themselves to the seats in front of him, he smiled. "What brings you two to my office?"

"We were getting bored at home, it's so intense. Too many people and not enough joy."

"Why? I thought you liked Jisung?"