Chapter 43

When Jaemin had taken off for the mission, she was scared, terrified even. She found comfort in caressing Jisung's hair as his trembling body fell asleep on her lap. Just as she had calmed down, Jaehyun informed them that he had to leave for the evacuation mission. And then she felt unsafe again, as if his absence would put her in immediate danger. He returned in a matter of hours, however, letting her take a sigh of relief.

But right now, as Jia stood in front of the Kkangpae headquarters' entrance, she felt more petrified than she had ever been her whole life. Because in walked the team they had all been waiting for, bruised and tattered. Clear indications of the rough fight their enemy had put up. But it was not them her eyes had landed on, no. It was not even her brother or his friend.

Black armour covered in dust, a long silver blade dipped in scarlet, eyes that looked hollow and soulless, and blood splattered all over her face and body. It was Kim Yuna's appearance that had given rise to the chills down her spine. Oh dear god.

Sungchan ushered the rest of the crew to join his medical staff, taking them away to patch them all up. The other three walked forward, going into the common area where the whole family waited for them. Jia followed along, not being able to take her eyes off the woman.

All the men in the room sucked in a breath, some gasped audibly at the sight. It broke all their hearts to see the state they were in. Chenle, who had returned after Jaehyun picked him up, was the first to move. He ran towards Haechan, crushing him into a hug as he sobbed on his shoulder. The other raised a hesitant hand, slowly returning the hug as he realised the younger boy needed him right now.

"Is Hyung-"

"No. Doctors say he's stable but, he's still not awake. Renjun and Winwin gē are with him." Chenle responded, still not letting go.

Taeyong was seated on the sofa, looking right at Yuna who held his stare. There was something different in her eyes, and he struggled to figure out how she was feeling. She walked ahead, her gaze not leaving his. The rest of the room turned their attention towards her, holding their breath as she dropped the sword at his feet.

"There."

"Yuna, you don't have to-"

"The blood of the enemy, offered to the head of the family. It's tradition, right?" Her voice was monotonous, not an ounce of emotion in them. Taeyong could only gape at her, his heart aching for the girl. I wish I could wipe away the blood on your face as if they were tears. But now even your petals prick as much as the thorns, my beautiful rose.

Doyoung kept his eyes down, struggling to watch his little sister tainted in the blood of the men she slaughtered. She was his baby, it was killing him to see her like this. No parent would be able to witness such a cruel scene. His younger brother, Jungwoo stared right at their sister. This was not the first time she had walked in with blood on her hands.

Not sparing the rest of the room a glance, she sauntered towards the stairs. Her mind was foggy, her whole body was aching, and the last thing she needed was for everyone she loved to stare at her with questioning eyes. Doyoung moved to follow her, only to be halted.

"Hyung stop, you can't be with her right now."

"I'm her brother!"

"Yes, and you are also the man who raised her. She won't be able to look you in the eye. Rght in this moment, she can't bear the thought of putting you to shame." Jungwoo explained, putting a hand on his shoulder. Taeyong exchanged a glance with Doyoung, nodding at him. They all knew he was right, he was the last person Yuna would want to see right now. "I'll take care of her, don't worry."