-Thirty Three-

{Natasha}

My ears ring uncomfortably loud as my blurry vision opened up. I couldn't hear much of anything while my ears calmed down, nor see since the light started agitating my head.

"Baby are you okay? How do you feel?" Jackson's worried voice asked to the right of me.

I could feel his presence beside me and touch on me but couldn't see him clearly since my head hurt so bad.

"The lights.. less of them please.." I requested.

"Lights!" Jackson yelled to God knows who.

"Babe -shh.. the yelling," I grumbled while turning on my side towards him.

He held my hand with one and used the other to rub up and down my back. My vision finally began clearing up when the lights dimmed, and the version of Jackson I saw almost sent chills down my spine.

He looked like the definition of distress, but more angry than anything.

"I'm alright," I reassured.

It didn't matter what I told Jackson or proved to him, he was probably going to put me on bed rest anyways.

"Everyone out for right now," he advised to the boys by the door.

There were four or five of them, one being Pierce who wished me a get well soon on his way out. Once we were by ourselves Jackson completely let go, and for the first time in our relationship I witnessed him cry.

His face hung in his lap but I could hear his gentle sobs. It took me a minute to sit up, but I fought my dizziness in order to embrace him. I wrapped my arms around his broad shaking shoulders and rubbed gently up and down his back.

"Natasha, I can't keep letting you pay the consequences of my life," he sniffled.

He wiped his face some before looking to me with blood shot eyes.

"Jackson.."

"That prick could've killed you!" He angrily yelled, to which I then had to correct him again by grabbing the sides of his head, stroking his damp cheeks until he took a breather.

"Jackson I'm stronger than you think.."

This lifestyle is nothing new to me and as sad as it sounds, I've been through plenty of things like this.

"It doesn't matter. That asshole didn't even make it off of the estate.." he psychotically chuckled under a sniffle.

I squeezed my eyes shut just thinking about another life that's been taken.

Whether he was well deserved or not..

"What about the guards? It wasn't their fault Jackson I paid them I-"

"Shh.. just don't worry about it Natasha.."

That didn't calm the sick feeling in my stomach though.

"I can't even trust my own guys right now.." he planted his face back in his palms to cry.

I continued stroking his back because there's no quick fix to problems in this life. It's going to take more than we know to find whoever's behind all of this.

"If I can't even protect you under my own roof then there's no point in you being sheltered, your friend as well.. but constant security will be with you at all times.. youre practically apart of us now.." he mumbled the last part while wiping his face clean.

I helped him by gently stroking his flushed cheeks, then giving him a few reassuring pecks on the lips.

Jackson took a deep breath to compose himself before speaking again.

"We're gonna try something.." he started, grabbing both of my hands to stroke my knuckles as he talked.

"We need a rat from whoever's group is doing this, and the only way to capture something is to give it bait. I need you with us at this event. I know it sounds crazy, but I promise I'll have as many eyes on you and your safety as possible."

"I trust you," I nodded gently and acted as collected as possible for Jackson's sake, but in reality I felt just as scared.

"You know I won't let anything happen to you.. not again at least" he kissed the back of my hand. We both breathily chuckled at the sad joke.

"I pray..." I sighed.

"It's an annual auction event for a select group of wealthy people. A majority of the things auctioned off are illegal, but you probably knew that," he started explaining.

"We'll attend, do everything as normal, and see how things play out. I'll have my men scoping the area for anything as well."

"But what if they don't plan on missing this time.." I couldn't help but ask.

The person who shot last time was clearly successful in scaring us. If I were them.. I wouldn't miss a second time.

"No.. something tells me they don't want you dead.. not yet at least," Jackson stated, not even trying to sugar coat his words.

"Wow thanks," I removed my sweaty hands from his to rub my pounding head.

"I'm sorry Angel-"

"No no, I appreciate the honesty," I dismissed.

"That bullet was too close to your head, and that mother fucker could've done more than a little knock out. Trust me- if they wanted you dead by now it'd be done mama, I'm sorry to say it..." he apologized, rubbing the sides of my leg with a pained look.

My feelings weren't actually hurt, but my anxiety levels were rising.

"So you'll agree to come, right?"

"Yes- but-" I raised a finger before continuing, and Jackson was all ears.

"You better make sure some type of marijuana or alcohol is in my system before we go. Or my anxiety will keep my ass right here," I warned.

As in a blunt before we put my life at stake again would be nice!

"Whatever you want baby," he smiled, then pulled me back in for another savory kiss.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$