Chp. 22 Primal Senses

+*+*+

Naruto slid on her sandals with practiced ease and slowly pulled off the covers on her bedside. She picked up her blanket and slung it over her shoulder like a cape. Tiptoeing to her door, she slowly unlocked the latch and padded out, the light filtering into the room.

Konoha’s hospital wasn’t so far from her parents’ house, and since she was the only one besides Rin that had been discharged with a clean bill of health, it meant it was up to her to rescue Kakashi.

It was the middle of the night and most of the hospital staff had already gone home for the night, leaving the hallways empty. Grinning, she closed the supply closet door quietly and slipped down the hall like a shadow. Peeking around one more time to make sure no one had followed her, she pried open the wooden door in front of her and snuck inside. The lights were off in this room too, but Naruto could see a shadow of a person sitting upright in the bed. Slinking up to the side, she greeted her fellow teammate.

“Hey,” she whispered, leaning in close to see him. “Are you ready?” Kakashi Hatake nodded mutely before swinging his feet off of his bed. Her grin only got wider when she saw that his sandals had already been fastened around his feet and a single kunai was strapped to his hospital gown. “Eager much?” She snorted, trying to keep her voice low as she helped him off.

“Like you aren’t,” he challenged-whispered back, craning his neck to the side to squint out of the window. They weren’t very high up but they had to make sure to cover their jumps so no one would be suspicious. Pushing the glass open, Kakashi gestured. “Ladies first.”

She smiled cheekily before jumping on top of the sill and then leaping off, her blonde locks looking white in the moonlight. With all the gracefulness of a panther, she latched onto a tree and stared up at him, waiting for him to follow. Kakashi didn’t hesitate. He flew to the branch below hers, his own hair looking like a silver beacon.

When they hopped down from the trees, Naruto immediately grabbed her blanket and threw it over his head.

Kakashi hissed. “What’s this for?” He tugged on the blanket.

“Your hair is like a fucking flashlight in this light, Hatake,” Naruto said. “If we wanna be successful, then we have to stay under cover.”

“You’re one to talk,” Kakashi said. “Look at you!” He tugged on her hair lightly before letting a strand gather in his palm. “It’s just as bright as mine.”

“Well then you should’ve brought your own blanket!”

Kakashi snarled. Within the next second, he tugged her closer to him and lifted the blanket so that it was draped over both of their heads. Naruto willed her face to stay normal, even as they ambled up the hills and over the fields.

“Do you have it?” He finally asked.

Naruto snorted. “Of course I have it. I’m not an amateur. I left it with him just in case Sensei and Kushina-nee caught me.”

“That’s awfully convenient,” Kakashi remarked. “And he’s okay with it?”

“Okay?” Naruto repeated, clear glee in her voice. “He’s the one who suggested it. I’m surprised you’re coming along.”

“I’m coming along because I’m tired of being in that room, but there’s no way in hell I’m helping you two.”

Naruto hummed. “We’ll see about that. And don’t be a big baby. You know you’re going to get released tomorrow, anyways.”

“Too bad we don’t have any sake for the road,” Kakashi muttered. Then he and Naruto exchanged knowing looks.

The Uchiha compound wasn’t very well guarded in the night, so Naruto and Kakashi snuck in before and traveled down the dirt roads until they made it to Kagami and Shisui’s house.