Chp. 30 A Promise

->

Shisui felt like he was soaking in a bath of sunshine and storm, with dancing beams lighting up his features and the smell of ozone and lightning surrounding him. Maybe there was an impending storm; it wasn't so unnatural for things like to happen in Amegakure. But if he were being honest, Shisui didn't really give a fuck about anything like that. Not when he was seeing Uzumaki Naruto for the first time in three years.

They'd probably been standing in the run-down ramen booth for a solid three minutes, locked in the warmest hug he'd ever had the pleasure of being in - Kakashi and Naruto both side by side in his arms. It was a great feeling.

Naruto smelled like... bright summer days when the rain had just fallen and the morning was dewey with damp grass that sparkled under the light.

Unsurprisingly, it was Kakashi who pulled out of the hug first as he readjusted his mask and ran a hand through his wet, silver hair.

And yet, his eyes never strayed off of the blonde in front of them, who was positively beaming, her blue eyes all but glowing as she surveyed them from head to toe.

"My, my," There was a clear smile in her voice, her whiskers moving up and down as the muscles in her face trembled. "Kakashi was right, Shisui," she said. She winked at him, and Shisui felt a thrill go down his spine at the clear inside joke they were sharing. "You are hot."

Kakashi immediately turned red and began spluttering. The bright orange-head sitting next to Naruto chuckled as well, and Shisui guffawed into his hand. Naruto looked smug, and she fist-bumped him.

The smile threatening to overtake his features felt like it might break open his face. Kami, he was just so happy. He had missed Naruto so dearly, and he kind of just wanted to smother her in hugs and ramen and flowers and everything beautiful.

"I should've never come," Kakashi said instantaneously. "It's not even been five minutes and you two are already making fun of me. I feel like Obito!" He complained.

"Karma," Naruto said knowingly. "What goes around comes around and all that." Kakashi grumbled but didn't move away when Naruto ran a hand through his tousled hair.

Then Naruto fell silent, until the trio were just standing and staring at each other. Shisui couldn't help but let the smile take over as he traveled back and forth between two of his closest friends. Naruto seemed to echo that sentiment because then she was squealing.

"C'mon, guys!" She laughed, hauling them both close again. "Didn't you miss me?"

"Definitely not more than you missed me!" Shisui grinned, remembering her words from before she had left. "Did you happen to find any clowns in Ame or Suna? Or were there no devilishly handsome suitors to grace you with your presence?"

"Oh please," Kakashi said. "I'm sure anyone she found was a step up from you."

"That's not what you said," Shisui said, and broke out into another grin when he realized Naruto had said the same thing.

"You really can't be taking his side on this, Hime," Kakashi said. "Are you really going to let Shisui get a big head?"

"If it means you're the one whose suffering, then, yes," Naruto said very matter-of-factly.

"Did you just call her Hime?"

Shisui turned abruptly to see Naruto's "cousin" staring back at them with disbelief, the orange-headed one and the beautiful woman in purple right behind him. Damn. He had forgotten they were even there.

Naruto had too, clearly. She stepped away from them, and placed a hand on her cousin's shoulder. "Kakashi, Shisui, I'd like to introduce you to my cousin, Nagato, and our two friends Yahiko and Konan," she gestured to each person respectively. She took a deep breath. "You're probably going to be seeing a lot of them."