Chp.26 Right Hand Man

Yo! I know a lot of people are expecting that Naruto ends up with Kakashi or Shisui but wouldn’t it be funny if Shisui and Kakashi end up together and that’s it lol — anyways.

°°°°

The funeral for Leopard - Akanare had been scheduled for the following Tuesday, and Shisui had been invited. But, he didn't know if he wanted to attend. Seeing Akanare's younger siblings fall into a pool of tears at their older brother's death had seemed like a different kind of punishment, and he hadn't been able to look them in the eye. Kakashi....

Shisui shook his head. Kakashi hadn't said anything either, but he knew the other boy was just as bothered as he was. And Dove, whoever she was, had been hiding out. Neither him nor Kakashi had seen her in the Anbu headquarters since their return, and Team Sutaraito hadn't been offered any new missions.

Shisui sighed, and stared at his pale complexion in the mirror. His father's old black button-down was a bit loose on his still-growing form, and his hair was thoroughly soaked from his shower. His under-eyes were colored a shallow purple - lack of sleep of all things, something that shouldn't even be bothering him. Perhaps it was hard to feel safe when you had just watched your team captain get spliced right in half. Tie wrung over his neck, he stared a little longer at his reflection.

Should he really go?

Would he be welcomed when he hadn't been able to save Akanare?

A knock on the front door startled Shisui out of his inner thoughts. Frowning, he chucked his tie to the floor. The house was empty, and on days like this, it always felt lonely. His father was out on official business, and the whole room was cold with dread and sorrow.

He opened the front door, and a mixture of emotions flitted through him when a bowed silver head of hair greeted him, raindrops dripping off the tail end and wetting the shoulders of his suit.

Kakashi's signature navy mask had been exchanged for a black one, and a bouquet of white flowers was clenched in his left hand.

"You ready?" he asked in lieu of greeting.

Shisui stared at him. "I don't think I'm going to go," he said finally. "It seems disrespectful to show up when I couldn't save Akanare."

He didn't really know how to talk to Kakashi at the moment, if he were being honest. He wasn't going to lash out, but he was properly angry over the fact that his friend had kept such a secret from him. That Naruto hadn't said something either. Yet, he also felt that familiar feeling of understanding that came with the job of being a ninja - knowing that Kakashi was going through the same thing he was. And of course, underlying all of that was the fondness that had grown over the months, and the newfound closeness that had fallen over the two boys from sharing the secret of being Anbu agents, and being on the same team. It had given them the chance to work together on a closer level, and they often found their time spent together, especially with the conditions of Naruto and Rin being gone. Of course, they spent time with their other friends as well, but Itachi was still at the Academy, and Obito was running missions under select teams picked out by their Hokage and their Yondaime to be.

Kakashi scoffed. "It's more disrespectful to call him a comrade when you won't show up. Honor the dead by fighting, Shisui."

"I don't see Zetsu anywhere," he couldn't help but snap. "Maybe Naruto should've given us a little forewarning before she disappeared for-"

"Stop," Kakashi interrupted, holding a hand up. Then, he pushed himself past Shisui and into the house, leaving his wet boot prints behind. Shisui closed the door behind him. He was surprised by the force in which the other boy whirled on him, eyes flashing dangerously. "I know what Zetsu said got to you, especially about Sasuke being an Uchiha and Itachi's little brother, but you can't take stock off of-"