Chapter 40. Supernova (Bonus)

Bonus: The Fourth Great Ninja War, Month 3, Day 4, Hour 17 

“Naruto,” Sai says, voice monotonic despite the haggled appearance he gives off. His already sallow pallor is whiter than usual, and his shirt is shredded from the shoulder to the back. “Kakashi-senpai has requested that Team Seven have a meeting in the third tent from the medic camps. We are to report right away.”

“Sai,” Naruto said, reaching out a golden cloaked hand to ghost over a deep gash in his arm. His painting arm.

“I am fine,” He says. “Others have sustained injuries far worse.”

“Shut up,” the blonde whispers. She holds his arm out until the wound closes, flesh and blood no longer visible.

Sai knows better than to say thank you at this point. The medic nin that the Shinobi alliance has to offer are tiring, and Naruto figures that any sort of help she can offer is better than nothing. She’s not training in medical ninjutsu like Sakura or Tsunade, but being a descendant of the Sage of Six Paths has its perks.

“Shall we go?” Sai asks. Naruto nods, and he takes off. She’s quick to follow them, scanning the quiet battlefield and the numerous injured Shinobi that are littered around the grounds.

When they get there, Yamato is already lifting the flap open, and they don’t hesitate to duck inside. Sakura and Kakashi-sensei are positioned at the furthest end of the tent, and Sasuke is sitting in silence on the floor to the left. Sai takes up a seat right next to Sasuke, and the Uchiha makes a disgruntled noise before shifting away, leaving a generous gap.

Sai doesn’t react, and Naruto is amused. Even during times like this, Sai can find it in himself to make Sasuke feel uncomfortable.

Kakashi coughs under his breath, no doubt having seen it too.

“What’s the occasion, Senpai?” Yamato addresses Kakasi with respect even in trying times like this, and Naruto has to give him credit. It’s not easy, but it’s better to have some sort of sense of normalcy.

Sakura is chewing on a ration bar, and tosses one to Naruto. She catches it deftly and rips it open before shoving half of it in her mouth in bite. It’s dry and tasteless, but it does it’s job. Kami, she misses ramen. She hasn’t had Ichiraku’s in so long, and she can’t wait until this whole war is over.

“We’re introducing a new team member, of sorts,” Kakashi says lightly, eyes fixed on Naruto. “And of course, I understand if some of you don’t feel… comfortable around him, but he’s a good ally to have. A very powerful one. And one whose ass I just kicked.”

“Oi, Bakakashi,” A voice drawls from the flap of the tent. “Don’t lie to them.” Sasuke is immediately on his feet, sword drawn, lightning zipping down the metal. Yamato is on guard too, and his whole posture tenses. Kakashi is merely lax, though, and Sakura’s lack of movement tells Naruto that Kakashi-sensei probably briefed her beforehand. Sai’s eyes are hawk-like on their visitor, but he doesn’t get up either. He’s probably waiting for orders from Kakashi.

“Didn’t I create a hole in your heart?” Kakashi asks.

“Didn’t I create a hole in yours?” Uchiha Obito retorts, his scarred face almost bored. His eyes travel around the other members before it lingers on Naruto, and then fully stops on Sasuke. “Sasuke. It’s good to see you alive. And mostly unharmed. I guess my training has done you well.”

“You!” Sasuke exclaims furiously. “Kakashi, what is he doing here?”

“Kakashi-senpai,” Yamato says. “I must agree with Sasuke. Uchiha Obito is not trustworthy.” He lowers his voice, but Naruto can still hear them. “I understand that you two were best friends, but you shouldn’t let that cloud your judgment.”