12. ⏭ Jessica & Ashley

"Boss, hey," Ashley greets Beca after she knocked on her and Jessica's door. The two are always glued at the hip, Beca doesn't doubt that if one of them committed a crime, the other would cover for them.

"Come in," and she does. The DJ gives a brief thanks and does as told, and Jessica greets her too from the loveseat.

"How are you guys doing? I feel like we haven't had a proper conversation in a while," Beca starts, a bit awkwardly. It's true, the two girls seem to be in their own little bubble for the most part, but it's nothing new.

"We're doing fine, we finished the invites earlier. By the way if they're sloppy, it's your guys' fault for tasking us with it," Ashley rolls her eyes.

"Yeah they might be a bit messy," Jessica giggled. Beca gives a small smile in return, not really minding, and she glances around.

The room isn't too messy in itself, there aren't extra bits of paper lying around but there's cardboard albums from which they must have taken it out. There's also colors of various types, a stapler, glue, markers and scissors. The invites Ashley was talking about are sitting pretty in three piles on one of the girls' desks.

Her eyes land on two large boxes against the wall at the corner of the room.

"You guessed it, that's the decorations. Turns out we're great at origami, by the way," Jessica says, and the DJ goes to inspect them.

The first box contains - as already spoiled - origami works, joined paper stars and stickmen, paper chains and colorful confetti. Leaning on the side of the box there's also an unopened tube of balloons. The other box holds what appears to be Christmas-like lights.

"I told her we couldn't use Christmas lights in summer, but she insisted," Ashley states, crossing her arms to was her chest.

"Christmas lights look good at any time of the year! Wouldn't it be a waste to use them for like a week and then discard them?" the blond argues, looking at Beca for help. Ashley looks at her too. The DJ glances between them back and forth.

Oh God, it feels like being dragged into an argument between your parents.

"Uh, I mean... I see your point," she eventually utters.

"Ha!" Jessica gloats.

"But I also don't really love Christmas, so..."

"Ha!" Ashley retorted smugly, causing her best friend to huff.

"Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys some questions," Beca goes back to business.

"About the chocolate, right? It's so tragic, you really can't trust anyone," Jessica frowns.

"Ain't that the truth," Beca hums, "So, long story short, have you guys seen or heard anything that might help?"

"Well-"

"Ash!" the blonde sends a warning look to the brunette, cutting her off.

"What? She asked!"

"Guys, just tell me what you know," Beca pleads, earning a defeated sigh from Jessica.

"I was saying. I have my suspicions," Ashley went on.

"Without proof," Jessica points out, causing Ashley to groan.

"God, Jess, you done Interrupting me? Of course it's all gonna be speculations, we're not the FBI!"

"Who were you thinking about?" Beca pulls out her pen.

"This might be unrelated, but I'm kinda set on Cynthia Rose," she replies, "Jess believes that too, even though she doesn't have the balls to spot out accusations,"

"Hey!"

"Why Cynthia Rose?"

"So, the chocolate was really expensive, right?" Beca nods, "the other day I overheard CR talking to someone on the phone after her usual poker night with the Trebles, and apparently she owed someone money,"

"Really?"

"Yeah, something like fifty bucks. I'm sure you could ask the Trebles," Beca nods, pretending to consider it. She doesn't want to ask around about her friend's alleged debt, she feels it would be out of line.

"So, you think she sold the box?" Beca asks.

"Or she paid them in chocolate. I can't tell," Ashley confirms.

That would basically be stealing from Emily's pocket.

"Jessica?" Beca looks for a second opinion, searching for the other girl's eyes.

"Well... she was allegedly on the roof all day," the blonde starts.

"Yeah, I saw her there when I took out the trash," Ashley adds, nodding.

"But that also means she's the only one who could have possibly have eyes on the door," she shrugs, "I mean, if someone came at the doorstep for her, none of us would know,"

Once again, the wheels in Beca's head start turning. Could the box of chocolates have been taken out of the house?

"Got it," Beca says, "do you know anything else?"

"Not really," Ashley replies, checking with Jessica who shrugs in response.

"Okay then thanks girls. I'll see you later,"

"No problem, boss. Take care!"

With that, Beca walked out, scratching her head. What now, what now...

.
.
.
.

~~~ WHAT DO YOU DO? ~~~

- Check the closets (go To Chapter 15)
- Check the drawers (go to Chapter 14)

[if you're here from Chapter 18, go straight to Chapter 19]