23. ...It Was Chloe

"...Chloe, I know it was you," at those words, the redhead's jaw falls to the floor. Everybody turns to her in shock.

"W-w-what?" she chokes out, unable to say anything else. Beca heaves a sigh, forcibly putting on a solemn face.

"If you really are on your period, you're gonna have cravings. And if you aren't, then the stomachache comes from an external factor. Chocolate perhaps?"

"I... I... Beca, no..."

Beca has to break eye contact. She can't look into her doe eyes or she will break.

"Do you have some secret alibi?"

Beca waits. One second of silence, two seconds, three seconds, four seconds...

"I don't think so..." Chloe eventually says in a small voice, radiating fragility.

Beca inhales deeply and nods. Part of her was hoping Chloe would come up with something, but she didn't. She knows Chloe is pouting right now, and she feels awful for being the reason behind it, but she's doing this for Emily. She grabs the notepad from her back pocket.

"Here you go, that's all I found," Beca says, tossing her notepad on the coffee table.

"Bec, it wasn't me," Chloe's voice cracks.

"I'm sorry, Chlo... I really am," Beca gulps. She wishes she didn't think it was Chloe, but she does... doesn't she? Maybe she can help her with the chores when the others aren't looking.

Chloe breaks her gaze when she realizes Beca is avoiding meeting it at all costs, and looks at Emily instead. The younger girl looks like she can't fully grasp it or believe it. Chloe opens her mouth a few times, but nothing comes out. She ultimately accepts her fate.

"Ames..." the DJ nods at Amy, who nods in return and walks up to Chloe. Amy gives both girls a sympathetic look before leading the redhead to the broom storage closet. Emily

"Thanks, Beca," Emily gives a half hearted smile as she places a comforting hand on her shoulder. The DJ exhales and opens her eyes, trying to return the smile.

"Of course, Em,"

.
.
.
.

- go to Chapter 28 (Epilogue 2)