Chapter 34: Headphones

AND THE KAMIKAZE BEGINS, NANODA~!
By the way, there is a pretty graphic scene at the end of this chapter. If you don't like blood, then you might not want to read past the line. Just a fair warning. Anyway, enjoy the chapter, nanoda~!

Saige's POV:

        I trekked through the underbrush, sidestepping low-hanging boughs and gingerly climbing over roots and rocks. I don't want to fall down in a ravine again, or worse, off a cliff.

        That idiot. He tricked me and almost got me killed. AGAIN. Well... I guess he is a demon. It's to be expected.

        But still.

        You don't just tell a girl "trust me" AND HURL THEM OFF A CLIFF TO THEIR IMMINENT DEATH.

        IT'S NOT COOL. NOT. COOL.

        While I was walking, I decided the best way to calm down was to listen to my music, so I searched for my earbuds and eventually found them in my back jeans pocket. I fished them out and pulled out my iPod from my hoodie pouch. I inspected the device, carefully, and openly swore when I discovered that the screen was cracked slightly. I tried to remember when this could have happened.

        The only time where it could have been cracked was when Riley caught me... he must have hit it or something... come to think of it, I'm surprised that the iPod had stayed in the pouch at all. Well, there's something to be grateful for.

        I brushed some of the loose chips of glass off the screen and plugged the earbuds in, flicking through my music and eventually selecting "Sad Robot" by Porter Robinson.

        Sounds depressing, doesn't it?

        I guess it kinda is. But it has an upbeat melody and is actually pretty fun for a song that has the word "sad" in it's title.

        I kept walking, slipping the iPod back into my hoodie pouch. A couple more minutes of dodging forest debris, and I could tell I was nearing the cabin. Suddenly, who should show up? Bill.

        Plot conveniences.

        Anyway.

        I wasn't expecting him to just... show up. I was too busy listening to my music. So obviously, I was surprised by this, and I tripped backwards. I would've hit the ground if he hadn't caught me around the waist. The smug look on his face made me wish that he had just let me fall that time.

        I pulled out of his grasp, and he chuckled without sound. I plucked one of the earbuds out of my ear, saying, coldly, "What do you want?"

        The smile on his face faded slightly, "I just wanted to check on you... Are you okay?"

        I rolled my eyes, "Well, now I am, but I wasn't all that okay when I was falling to my death."

        "Can you just let that go?" He whined.

        I stared at him, incredulously, "Can I just let it go? What is wrong with you?!"

        "Well," He started, matter-of-factly, "I throw beautiful girls off cliffs and then wonder why they're mad about it, so that's two things."

        I sighed, dropping the earbud and using my now free hand to pinch my nose between my thumb and forefinger, saying, quietly, "That was a rhetorical question..."

        "Oh," Bill responded.

        Cue awkward silence.

        I was just about to push past him when he asked, "What are you listening to?"