Chapter 43: Nothing Lasts Forever

Saige's POV:

The last few days have been progressive. I spend almost all of my free time in the butterfly hollow, writing, working. Sometimes I spend those hours alone. Sometimes Cassie comes with me. Sometimes its Asha. But usually Bill joins me. He keeps me company during those quiet times, and I remember the days before Mabel knew him as Dominik, the days where I felt his pull drawing me every time we were together, stronger than the gravity over the edge of the cliff, stronger than the anger in his eyes when he doesn't get what he wants.

It bothers me how comfortable I am around him now. There's always that thought hiding in the dark corners of my mind that tell me he can't be trusted, that I should push him away, that I should tell him to leave me alone like I used to. But more prominently are the thoughts that tell me that he truly means no harm, and that maybe we could be friends.

Even though I know that isn't his intention. I can hear his voice, telling me that he'd do anything to have me.

However, now, he doesn't really say anything at all.

He's just quiet in a pensive, observant way, listening to the scratch of my pencil against the weathered pages of the journal and the sounds of the forest that dimmed to white noise whilst I was deep in thought. And when he knew the sun was low, as I couldn't see the sky through the thick, dark canopy of unnaturally beautiful oak leaves and I never wore a watch, he would tap me on the shoulder to alert me to the time and walk me back to the cabin without a single word.

He was always watchful. But not nearly as obsessively protective as Riley, ironically. I haven't seen him in days, but I know he's there, and he hates how close Bill and I are becoming. I can just feel it. I also don't blame him. I worry myself sometimes when I actually get excited to see Bill approaching over the top of my book.

However, no matter how much these two may distract my mind, I force myself to focus on the matter at hand...

It's time.

Marceline and Angel have been away from home long enough, and I'm sure they're friends must be worried. I know I'll miss the rainy nights trapped inside while Angel regales the Cabin Crew with his stories of Ooo, and Marceline's music fills the quiet cabin's empty air with color and life, as if every drop of red she drains is used to paint her melodies with happiness itself. I know I'll miss that, but most of all, I'm going to miss waking up to a full house.

When they moved in, and Cassie and Asha joined us, my cabin, which had previously been my living space, became my home. Every morning, I'd see Asha, dead asleep, to my right, and I'd pass Cassiopeia brushing her teeth in the bathroom, and then I'd call everyone to breakfast and we'd all eat together at the dining table. It felt like family, like something in my life, besides my house, was filled when they arrived, as if I'd been missing something.

And now, when Asha takes them through the In-Between, it will just be Cassie and me. I don't know if I'm ready. I don't if they are, either. But I know it's time.

---

I decided to do it in my backyard, since there was a lot of space and it was as close as we could get to where they actually showed up. Yeah, no, I'm not doing this on the roof. Especially since Cassie no longer has wings.

I had painted the runes on the grass and performed a long list of complicated enchantments on all three of the travelers. This way, when they entered the In-Between, every door they needed to pass through would present itself to them. As I stood in front of them one at a time to properly prepare them, I said my individual goodbyes. I just gave Asha a high five and a thumbs up, knowing I would definitely see her again soon. But for all I knew, it could be an eternity before that happened with Marcy and Angel.

I got a hug from both of them, and I won't lie, I did come darn near to tears when I said goodbye. Then they stepped into the portal... and they were gone.

--------------------

Short chapter... sorry...
And sorry if you're mad about Marcy and Angel making their exit, but it's too late so get over it, nanoda~
Love you guys. Don't worry, this is to lead into something later.
Also sorry I didn't tell you about this earlier, Frederik
I love you too, nanoda~
Anyway, thanks for reading, I'll see ya'll in the next chapter!
~LE GRET ZIMARI

ps. 20,000 reads special coming up anyone? Getting close on Wattpad, but we need to bump up the Quotev numbers and then it's party time!