Chapter 26

Later that evening, Naruto and Shikamaru went to the formal's place to tell Yoshino and Shikaku that they were dating.

Naruto was initially hesitant to tell them, but Shikamaru convinced him that his parents are open-minded and would accept them.

Standing before the Nara compound, both of their hands were sweaty, cold sweat was appearing on their foreheads, and their hearts were still beating with fear in their hearts, as it meant a lot to both of them.

Shikamaru walked into his house while holding Naruto's hand, saying, "I am back!"

Yoshino, watching TV, said, "Welcome home, freshen up, and then help me prepare dinner."

After looking between his mother and naruto, Shikamaru said, "Mom Naruto is here. Where is Dad? I have something to say."

Yoshino jumped up from the couch when she heard Naruto's name, a bright smile on her face, "It has been a while Naruto." Naruto smiled back politely, "I apologize for not dropping by sooner."

Her smile remained on her face as she shook her head, "It's okay. Do you want to stay for dinner? No, I think you should stay for dinner together." Yoshino said.

Naruto nodded, still smiling.

Yoshino immediately went into the kitchen to make dinner, Naruto decided to help, Yoshino initially declined, saying he should rest, but Naruto persisted.

Later all four of them sat down at the dining table, having small chats.

"Mom. Dad. I have something to tell you." Shikamaru said. Then a second later he added, "IT's important."

As Shikamaru spoke, everyone put away their chopsticks and focused on what he said.

Shikamaru held Naruto's hand on the table, "I'm dating Naruto!".

"You scared me, I thought it was something big," Yoshino said with a sigh, picking up her chopsticks.

Although the formal expected that his parents would accept them, Shikamaru and Naruto were rather shocked, since his parents' response was so meager, in fact, there was no response at all. Shouldn't they act at least a bit surprised?

Seeing the frown on his son's face, Shikaku said, "We already expected it son. The way you behave around Naruto is way too obvious," Seeing that the frown on his son's face didn't decrease, Shikaku elaborated, "Like the way you hold his hand, wipe his tear, cuddle with him, smile at him, in short, there are too many things to point."

Yoshino also joined her husband, "The day when Temari came to our house and you held his hand, I was sure of your feelings for him, then the way you would act when Kiba and Naruto were together ----"

Naruto and Shikamaru were turning red as they spoke, were they that obvious, but when Kiba was mentioned, Shikamaru finally decided to stop his mother, "Mom stop! I get it."

Naruto looked at Shikamaru confused, what was this talk about Kiba. However, his questions were not answered, as Shikamaru turned to look at his parents, "Then you are completely okay right?" His parents nodded and Shikamaru mumbled, "What a drag!!" All of this nervousness for nothing.

***

Naruto and Shikamaru were laying on the bed, cuddling together, after Dinner Naruto had decided to stay, after all, who would want to stay apart from their lover the day they started to date?

The lights were turned off, Naruto was playing with Shikamaru's hair, he always wanted to run his hand through Nara's hair but never asked, but since they started to date, Naruto decided to ask if he can and Shikamaru just untied his hair with a smile on his face and a little bit of mumbling, "Mine is not as good as yours though."

As Naruto ran his hand through his hair, he asked, "What was Yoshino san saying about Kiba?"

Shikamaru froze, it took him a few seconds to say, "Don't mind what she says and you should call her Mom."

Naruto blushed a bit at the later sentence but then asked again, "Shika~ tell me~ what was that about." He was whining like a kid.

Shikamaru sighed, then looked Naruto in the eye and said it quickly, "I was jealous of you and him and thought you two were dating!"

Although it was said very quickly, Naruto caught every word then smiled, "You don't have to, we are just best friends and more like brothers."

Shikamaru planted a kiss at Naruto's nose, "I know."

***

"You what?!" Ino

"Tell us again!" Tenten

"I already knew it!" Choji

"Me too haha" Kiba

"Why were we the only ones who didn't know?!" Sakura

"What about Temari?" Neji

"You gotta be kidding me." Ino again

"That's the youth!" Lee

"hmph Dobe" Sasuke

"You finally found someone dickhead" Sai

"I am happy for you." Shino

One month later, during their gathering, the whole table exclaimed when Shikamaru and Naruto announced that they were dating. Everyone was shocked and asked all sorts of things. Even Sasuke who always remain quiet in all the gatherings said something.

The only one that didn't say anything was Hinata, she was frowning and had turned her head away. She was angry that Naruto forgot about her and decided to date Shikamaru and also that no one had this kind of reaction when she and Shino announced they were dating. However, no one paid any mind to her, leaving her be.

The guilt Shino has been carrying since he started dating Hinata has always been on his mind ever since he chose love over friendship.

"Yes, we are dating." Shikamaru laughed, despite his usual self, "Regarding Temari, we broke up and decided to stay friends." He did not provide details and no one forced him to do so.

Everyone congratulated them, Sasuke who was sitting beside Naruto said in a low voice, "I'm happy for you dobe, and if he bothers you tell me."

Naruto chuckled at that," Thank you Teme." Shikamaru heard him and picked up his brows but then Sasuke let out a "hng" and everyone went back to enjoying.

____________
Author's Note:

One last chapter and this will be finally over. I am a bit sad to part with this.

Anyway hope you enjoy it, votes and comments are appreciated.