Chapter 23

The dinner ended with all laughter,  everyone went home, the only ones remaining were Temari, Shikamaru, Kiba and Naruto.

All four of them walked out of the restuarant, Naruto couldn't bear looking at Temari and Shikamaru anymore, he forced a small smile,"Then I'll get going now." Naruto turned around and was going to walk away with Kiba following him behind. 

Shikamaru felt something sting in his heart, Was naruto going to leave him without saying anything, what was this pain in his heart that seemed to eating him alive.

"Naruto." He callled out without even thinking,

Hearing his name being called, Naruto stopped in his track, his heart pounding as he looked at Shikamaru, who himself was shocked.

It took a few seconds for the Nara to regain his composure, he cleared his throat as he tried to hide the pain,"Take care on your way back."

On this Kiba popped in,"Don't worry I will walk him home and make sure he gets home safe." 

"Okay."

Shikamaru doesn't know who said this word, was it was Naruto or was it him, no matter who said this, it was the last words said as he saw Naruto and Kiba's back disappearing.

Temari who was standing besides him, tugged his sleeves,"Let's  go." Shikamaru nodded and they both started to walk.

Shikamaru suddenly realised something, no not suddenly, he did it a while ago when he saw Naruto and Kiba together or was it way back. 

Shikamaru stopped walking and said,"Temari let's talk." 

"It's late though, shouldn't we talk tomorrow?" Temari said, with her voice slightly shaking but shikamaru didn't notice it.

"No We need to talk now or else I would never be able to say it. It's now or never." Shikamaru said with determination in his eyes and his whole body that's always slouched, stood straight, there was no hint of his usual laziness found.

After shikamaru said this, they both walked towards a empty park for privacy, Temari sat down on swing while Shikamaru stood infront of her maintaining distance, so much that Temari's hand couldn't reach him.

The atmosphere was thick between them, it was so heavy that it was suffocating.

"I AM SORRY!" Shikamaru breathed out, it was loud, and Shikamaru himself didn't knew he could speak that loudly, but when he said this everything went silent again.

"I am sorry." He said again, this time a lot slower and in a low voice, he gulped the lump in his throat as he added,"I am sorry...I-I don't love you, I-i never did, i always wanted a normal life i thought i could achieve it with you but now i know it's not possible because i never felt that way about you, you are someone nice, a person i can call a friend, but i can never cal you someone i love because i don't.........."

Shikamaru said everything that came to his mind in a very low voice, he didn't try to form his sentence properly  and it was clearly visible that he was also having a hard time saying this, letting his thoughts out, letting emotions out.

"It's n-naruto isn't it?" Temari asked, her eyes were blurry, her voice shaky, she grabbed her one hand with the other, to stop it from trembling so much, she didn't look up to make eye contact with the Nara because she was scared.

Shikamaru answered in a deep, serious voice,"YES." He had no intention to hide, and he didn't want to hide it from her, because he felt that she has the right to know.

"temari it's not your fault.....i am the one at fault, you are great at it is, you will find someone far more better than me, you will have someone that deserves you and i am not that someone....i am sorry."    

Suddenly Temari jumped off the swing and came to stand face to face,"I know. I am not at fault, and yes you need to be sorry, you have to apologise, and I will forgive you. Because you see I was also foolish to believe that you would love me, I knew it at first glance when I saw you two together that day, the day when Naruto was moving to your place, that's why I ignored him, because I felt acknowledging him would mean I acknowlege the love you two have. Although you both are not dating each other, I can see it in your eyes the deep affection you have for each other." 

Shikamaru was dumfounded would be an understatement, he didn't know what to say rather Temari didn't let him say anything as she continued speaking her thoughts.

"You know girls always have eyes for this kinds of things, It was so clear, the love between you guys were so clear but I  still ignored it..." her voice started to crack, she blinked and the tears fell down her eyes,"no i-i pre-tended to ignore it, i clung onto you desperately, hoping you wo-uld lo..ok at me, hoping you.... would love....me,  but you didn't......when you said 'let's talk' i knew...it was the time....so i tried to push it...but i-i couldn't...prevent it...i wanted to....because even if you didn't love me... i did....you are my first love....."

Stream of tears rolled down her eyes, she tried to wipe them with her sleeves, her voice broke and the words couldn't come out anymore, Shikamau felt bad, he felt that he was the worst person, but he didn't doubt his decision because he knew that it was for the best, if he didn't break up with her now, they both would end up living a loveless life. 

"I am sorry." He said once again, this was the only thing he could say right now, no words can justify breaking someone's heart.

Temari looked up, despite the tears, then she said in a straight strong voice,"It's not your fault, so stop blaming yourself, having feelings for someone is not something we can control, so it's not your fault." She took a deep breath and then added,"Let's break up."

There was silence in the atmosphere, that lasted a few minutes, those minutes Temari hugged Shikamaru, and he hugged her back, he could feel her tears on his shoulder but didn't pay any mind to it, he slowly patted her back, trying to comfort her.

Temari pulled away, her eyes red, the streak of tears visible, she stared at the Nara in his eyes, her lips curved up into a small barely visible smile,"Tomorrow I am going to leave for Suna. And the next time we meet I would've forgotten and forgiven you."

Shikamaru then gave her a small apologetic smile,"Sorry and Thankyou."
_____________
Author's Note:

How was this chapter? Truthfully I felt bad for Temari but I am happy too because soon the long awaited moment would arrive. Another thing is that at someone places, lower case are intended. 

Yeah I know I am late, okay so everyone let me tell you something i thought, i am planning to update this whole week and end this fanfiction but I am not sure if I can actually do it so if I couldn't there would be updates on every tuesday and saturday. Only 4-5 chapters are left. I want to thank everyone for  reading this and supporting me so far.

Please once again show your support by voting and commenting.