Chapter 22: Mistrust

Damien Mcknight

"Open! Come on Damien!" Christie cheered, clapping enthusiastically.

This was the last gift I had to open and I suppose it's Acacia's because she wouldn't stop playing with her hands which only implies and accentuate her nervousness.

The corners of my lips raised up as I smiled briefly.

I opened the blue box and a smile settled permanently on my lips. It was a beautiful black Rolex. 'All hers' was written on the corner of the watch and I couldn't help but chuckle. I doubt Acacia noticed the text because it was very small.

Just looking at it I knew that I'd never take it off. It was gorgeous and it felt special, I don't know why.

"Damien, you saw it, didn't you? I told you, I saw the love for you in her eyes" Tristan whispered in my ear, eyeing Acacia, who was clearly too engrossed with Liam.

I rolled my eyes, "Are you a matchmaker, Tristan?"

Tristan can be anything but a matchmaker. I don't understand why I make friends with such people.

Tristan scoffed and scurried over towards Acacia.

Her hazel eyes shifted from Tristan's to mine as in asking 'If it was okay to talk to him.'

I gave her a curt nod with a small smile and stood up to walk to the kitchen.

'I gave her a curt nod with a small smile and stood up to walk to the kitchen

Acacia doesn't need my permission to talk to anyone. I'm not a possessive person and I know Acacia is a carefree girl. I can never limit her.

I saw the look in her eyes when Tristan shook her hand, she was hesitant and her hands shook with anxiety. Maybe she thought I wouldn't allow it but how do I tell her it's none of my business? I mean it's her life.

My phone started to ring loudly the moment I poured myself a glass of water and I picked it up.

Claire Williams. Of course.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

She's one stubborn woman. She won't ever give up until and unless I marry her. Psycho. I'm married.

I snickered at my thoughts.

I answered the call because why not? I'd like to see what nonsense she has in store for me.

"Happy birthday, Baby!" Claire squealed as I leaned over the counter.

"This is the first time you remembered, I'm impressed, babygirl" My voice was filled with playfulness. She needs to know that she no longer pisses me off because she just isn't important enough. In fact, she is not important at all.

Claire let out a shaky laugh, "Of course babe. How can I not? I love you after all"

I lowered my head and laughed lowly, "Claire, if you would have loved me, you wouldn't have cheated on me. Okay? So please fix your definition of an I love you"

"Please Damien, be a little more forgiving. I'm much better than your stupid little wife. What was her name? Acacia right? What are you doing with a broken little doll?" She sneered and chuckled as I fisted my knuckles.

How the fuck does she know anything about Acacia?

Wait a minute.. Claire has contacts everywhere, being the sole heiress of the company, she had everything she wanted so obviously, she approached her daddy dear for Acacia's information. Petty.

"Broken or not, she is all mine to fix, you were nothing even close to her, Claire. Oh and please stop hitting on married men, you already sound over Xavier" That's all I said before silence took over and I was about to cut the call but she said

"Damien, she is an abused woman. She is weak and she can't deal with you. Your life is dangerous and she'll leave you too. When she will learn about your accident and your past, Damien she won't wait a minute for you"

I poked the inside of my cheek with my tongue and I scoffed, "She is the strongest woman I know, and Claire, not every woman is like you. If you are worried about her knowing anything about my accident-" I was cut off by a loud sound and I cut the call, keeping my phone in my pocket.

Acacia stood against the counter with her eyes wide and teary. The tray from her hands had fallen and the moment she saw me looking at her, she turned around and tried to leave but I grabbed her elbow.

She heard everything, didn't she?

Ah fuck.

"Let me go, Damien" Acacia said, her voice shaky as she tried to push me.

I know she can't use much force, it will hurt her, it is all because of that man in the washroom.

"Acacia, stop hurting yourself," I whispered, grabbing her a little more firmly.

She whimpered as a lone tear ran down her cheek.

"Damien, just leave me" She mumbled, averting her gaze from me.

Why is she doing this? What is she sad about, I mean she hasn't heard anything Claire said.

"Why? I don't see the need" I rasped, pinning her hands behind her back.

She gasped, she always does when I touch her even a little bit.

"Damien, you are making me uncomfortable. Just let me go" She said and pushed me with her hands but I grabbed her again and pinned them tightly.

"I won't let you go until you tell me why you are crying," I said and she looked up into my eyes.

Her tears wouldn't stop and her nose turned red.

"Damien, you told her everything about me... You told her I'm yours to fix. Why would you tell her about Matthew! Damien, I trusted you!" She sobbed, lowering her head.

I held her waist as she lost her balance and wrapped her arms around my neck, still sobbing.

"Acacia, I never told Claire anything about you- Acacia breathe" I quickly wrapped my arms around her as she put her head on my chest.

"Damien.. I hate you. I hate you so much. You told her because you still love her. You have feelings for her and you can't get over Claire, Damien."

"Acacia, I don't love Claire. I don't love anyone in that case. You need to stop assuming things" I said and my voice came out harder than I wanted it to.

Acacia thinks I told Claire about her past so it's natural for her to behave this way. She is barely breathing because she wouldn't stop crying and I don't want to worsen her condition

She clenched my shirt and whispered, "I don't like you"

"Acacia, just focus on my heartbeat and count with me. Alright?" I whispered gently, caressing her back but she shook her head and tightened her hold.

She is panicking and her pulse rate is dropping. But she wouldn't listen to me, gosh.   

"You know what Damien? Just like how you never told me about your past, I'll make sure to never ever tell you anything about mine. You don't trust me and I don't trust you anymore either" She said and pulled away.

I grabbed her wrist but she instantly took it back, "Don't touch me"

I sighed, "Acacia, I do trust you-"

"If you would have, Damien, you would have told me even the slightest about you. No, but why would you? I'm just your wife on paper so I have no right"

"Acacia, whatever you know about me is enough, and all you need to know" I firmly said and crossed my arms.

Acacia's eyes widened as tears rolled down her cheeks.

God fucking dammit. I am not supposed to make her cry!

"Damien, you could have at least told me you were involved in an accident."

********

Hate is a strong word, isn't it?

What do ya think? Would she actually hate him?

Stay safe! <3

-Aubree <3

Stay safe! <3-Aubree <3