chapter two

"xiao~ my lovely buttercup~ I got your breakfast~ hehe, aren't i a cute partner?~" you tease. xiao is barely awake and is already being tormented by the pest of a person who resides in his room. his eyes open and stares at the tray of food then at you.

"don't look at me like that. you know sugar in the morning is bad for your teeth! I can't give you almond tofu for breakfast!" you wag your finger at him and place the tray on the side.

"eat up, yes? it'll help you grow~ then your boobs can be my face level-"

a piece of cutlery is launched in your direction and you duck. you laugh nervously and look back at him. "stop pretending you hate me, my beautiful husband."

xiao ignores you and finishes his breakfast. you look at him and smile, admiring him.

"what are you doing." he demands. you walk over and cup his cheek, kissing his forehead.

"alatus... you have such a beautiful soul." even if you spewed out compliments often- mostly ridiculous, given the usual was 'what a cute butt! can I slap it?' and 'do you think there's anyway I could fuck your back? is that a no? wait---' - xiao didn't expect this. especially not the use of his name.

he keeps silent. a common response to your flurry of comments.

"ill go check the notice board." you take his tray and leave, dropping it off in the kitchen before scanning over the mess of overlapping papers. nothing new. you head back up and open the door with your right hand.

you glance around the main room and note that xiao isn't there. you assure yourself that he's in another part of the room and make the bed.

you. youre such a mystery, no? a common mortal who likes to dance around naked and smoke does not seem like someone xiao would particularly be around. so, what is your story? aether has been questioning this since he saw you, now- the due date of your promised gift had come closer- duly noted thanks so paimons consistent asking.

a knock comes from the door and you open it, knowing xiao will expect you to deal with any and all human interaction. its aether.

"hey, hope this is a good time, you didn't speci-" he starts.

"we decided to come for breakfast. aether limits me to one breakfast dish." paimon pushes in, to which aether sighs.

you let out and chuckle and wave them off. "don't worry. breakfast sounds amazing." you smile. "xiao, will you be joining us?"

theres a few incoherent grumbles from the bathroom before he comes out newly clothes and grabs his spear. you immediately stop him.

"oi! there's no way you're going out! broken arm, remember?"

"I must-"

"I mUsT prOteCT lIYUe! shut up or ill break your other arm, get in bed."

"no."

"xiao, I swear-"

"I cannot simply sit here."

"you won't be able to fight properly if you push your arm!"

"I will get through it. the pain is simply karma-"

you huff loudly and excuse the two of you for a moment and lead xiao to the balcony that was void of other presences.

"xiao. I know you're not dumb enough to think this will do good for anyone. I understand your motivation but you can't simply act restless. if you just act on the urge to fight then you're no better than the demons you slay, no?"

"wrong. if you understood you wouldn't be stop me. your actions are futile, anyway. you know I can just complete my duties." he crosses his arms and looks at the floor as he winces from the pain.

you take a deep breath. "fine, okay. just keep safe and come home to me, okay?" you mutter out, you know that he'll give in when it gets worse. he's not dumb, he knows if he pushes himself too hard then he will be unable to help. you just hope he's smart enough to stop after a few hours of the surely excruciating pain.

he doesnt respond, again, and teleports away. you turn around and sigh. "come on you two, be quieter next time you opt to eavesdrop.

a few hours later, after your meal with the traveller and his companion, xiao stumbles in.

injured, obviously, there's no doubt if you choose to go gallivanting with a broken bone. you rush to him quickly no less and examine his arm. blood is pouring from other injuries recieved from his poor performance and his arm holds more resemblance to chewed up popsicle stick than a functioning limb.

he groans and grits his teeth as you sit him down and look at it further.

"oh, ah-xiao... Will you listen next time...?" you whisper, pulling medical supplies from a close drawer.

he whimpers painfully and lays his limp head on your shoulder and closes his eyes. honestly, one of the little bits of affection he gives you. not that you are to expect it- you're not a couple. but you cherish it all the same.

"you were right... im sorry" he breathes out as you pull his arm into a sling.

you smile and kiss his head softly. "don't apologise, you're so strong ♡ when your arms healed you can grab my a-"

"im no sorry."

"hey!"

you huff and start mixing a pain relief medicine, grinding it and complaining about xiaos cruel demeanour.

"and personally, I think I deserve a lot more compliments and kisses!" you go on, xiao staring at you as you snub him.

you sigh and mix the medicine into tea. as you pick up your own glass for a cup of tea, xiao speaks up.

"I love you" he whispers out.

you freeze, almost dropping your glass and look at him. he's looking down, not letting you see his face. you stay silent for a moment, before smiling.

"I love you too, alatus!"