chapter eighteen

where the fuck is grandma oak? no one knows of this conniving cow! maybe that was a bit harsh. but she's not anywhere! no ones heard of her! it's as if she isn't r-

oh.

how foolish.

venti is the conniving cow!

of course he's able to send a vision himself! you were too caught up in the idea of being rewarded with endless smothering and kisses after you completed your perilous journey that you didn't realise he was lying!

when you get home you're going to-

oh, you're home! teleportation is a convenient power.

"venti! she doesn't exist, does she?!" you yell, pausing at the decorations in the room.

"happy birthday!!!" venti yells. "...Happy birthday" xiao says after.

"xiao, you were supposed to yell it on time with me. tut tut tut-"

"are you okay?" xiao asks, frowning. you're looking down, clearly trying to hide your face. maybe this really was a bad idea.

"how did you...?"

"know it was today? well it said in this book I found in Lisa's library-"

"its not my birthday... today is the day I was recognised by celestia as a god... the day I gained my power..."

venti pales significantly.

"I thought other gods still sought that as a day for celebration?-" xiao stops when he sees venti shaking his head at him quickly.

"y/n, I'm sorry- I had no idea-" venti starts.

you take a deep breath and lift your head, grinning. "you guys are so sweet! you didn't have to do all this! I guess I can't be mad at you about grandma oak." you pull them both into a hug and peck their heads. whilst in your arms, xiao notices venti still frowning deeply. what didn't he know?

"but-" venti starts.

"venti, its okay, you went through a lot of effort. let's have fun." you smile. venti considers for a moment before grinning and dragging you over to open the gift they had gotten you.

xiao wonders just why they're both so good at acting like they aren't giving off the most prominent feeling of heartbreak right now- but he feels he should play along and ask about it later on.

throughout the night you share drinks with them both, listening to music and discussing things over a range of topics. deciding to take a stroll, you've wandered near stone gate, now late at night. you and xiao sit on the grass between mondstadt and liyue, venti having wondered towards the winery, insisting his friend would supply them with more alcohol.

xiao hadn't drank enough for a supernatural being such as himself to be drunk, but he'd admit things swayed when he moved quickly- and that he found himself stumbling over his words more. you, however, did not pace yourself and were close to blackout drunk. your body was held up solely through leaning on xiao, neglecting your own strength. xiao noticed you were especially clingy when intoxicated. is now a good time to ask?

"baobei." he says. he notices you smile uncontrollably when he speaks. you hum questioningly in response.

"why were you upset today?" he asks- that quickly turns your smile to a frown.

"oh... its just... the day i was given power... was the day i lost everything..." you mutter, it clicks for xiao now. he feels foolish for not realising sooner. what does he say? does he say anything?

you sniffle slightly, letting out a shaky breath. "why was i given the power to protect after i lost what i wanted to defend, xiao? it was cruel, i never wanted some status or great power, i just wanted my people to be happy." you start to cry heavily, and xiao knows only that he should bundle you up in his arms and hold you close- so he does.