chapter twelve

"venti, what gift do you think xiao will like?" you ask, peering at the stalls that he'd books, trinkets and other items chosen to celebrate the festival.

"I think uhhh, I really big kiss, thats what I'd want at least, and since we're anemo users, I think he thinks the same" venti assures, waving his arms as if he were presenting fact

"is that how you choose anemo users? by if they want kisses?"

"mmhm! you'll find it similar in all of us"

"well... thank you, I'll keep that in mind, any idea what gift from inazuma I could purchase he'd enjoy? he doesn't have time to read, really."

"I saw a lady that was selling flowers in these lovely little arrangements, inazuman style plants and such. you said he was into flowers recently, how about you make him one?"

"venti, that's such a lovely idea!" you grin happily and take his hands and kiss his forehead. "let's make it together, okay?"

"yeah, sounds good! I'll lead the way." venti takes your hand, leading you up some steps towards a lady who stood next to stands of flowers. she explains to you what she offered at her stall.

"however, you'll have to come back another day, I'm not prepared yet." she apologies, you sigh- a bit disappointed, but cheer up quickly.

"it's okay, we'll see you in a few days, thank you!" you say, before walking off, hand still in venti's.

"that's a bummer. but another day is okay, too." he smiles. you nod.

"y/n! venti!" aether calls, waving at you both. you notice he takes a quick glance at your intertwined hands.

"hey aether, paimon, how's your day?" you ask.

"were bumping into a lot of people we know. I don't think I can say their names if you don't know who they are, though. it's a bit hard keeping up with people's fake names and real names." he explains, sighing.

you chuckle slightly and nod. "I can't imagine. I've unintentionally became just as anti-social as xiao being cooped up with him. I doubt I'll see old friends here."

"I should introduce you to my friends. I think you'll like them."

"Youre a good judge of character, I think I'd blindly trust any of your friends."

"Maybe don't trust Childe." Paimon interjects.

"Childe? What are you doing knowing harbingers?"

"A long story... we've met more than one."

"What is the reason you travel?"

"Right... you don't know- we met so abruptly. I'm looking for my twin sister. Blonde hair, flower in it, about my height. Maybe you've seen her?" He asks. He looks so desperate that you wish you could just make his sister appear. You think for a moment, closing your eyes.

Your mind strays, to the archon war. But there is no clear memory. When you open your eyes, he looks completely ready to hear no.

"When did she come to this world?"

"2000 years ago, now. The archon war."

You look at Venti. Wouldn't he know something? Why didn't he say something? Zhongli, too. and Xiao. Surely they would all hold similar memories.

"My memories... theyre hazy. She was there, but I have no memory of her specifically... if anything comes up, I'll come to you immediately."

"...How would you know she was in the archon war? Aren't you human?" He asks. You sigh.

"Whoops..."

"Whoops?!" Paimon says.

"The god Idis, pleasure to meet you."

"The one from Mondstadt stories? The one venti sin-"

Venti clears his throat.

"Oh please. As if I didn't know you sung songs of me, Venti. Word spreads of you and your ballads."

"I suppose I shouldn't have sung them if I didn't want you to know... still embarrassing."

"But yes, that Idis. I'm glad you know, I'd rather not explain my role."

"So what was the tone deaf bard like all those years ago? Just as annoying?"

"It was hard not to kick him as a wind spirit, I'll admit."

"HEY!"

"Just as hard as it is not to kick you, Paimon. I still love you both, however."

Aether snorts at that, and Venti grins.

"Hey! Paimon is not to be kicked! Paimon is not your friend! You're just like the tone deaf bard!"

"That's a shame, I guess since we have no other friends we'll have dinner alone, right venti?" You turn to him, starting to walk off.

"WAIT. Aether, aren't Idis and Venti such good friends? Paimon thinks we should accompany them, just to make sure they're safe. What if they're too drunk to get home?" Paimon rants and Aether holds her back with his arm, smiling as he waves you both off.

"Aether! Your twins name! What is it?" You ask as you go.

"Lumine! Thank you!"

You nod and turn, walking off with Venti. You decide not to ask him about what he knows about Lumine right now.

"...wanna get a drink?" Venti asks, hesitation more off a nicety than a thought.

"I was going to ask if you'd allow me to take you on a date. It ended with drinks, anyway."

"A date sounds way better! What will we do? Apple picking? Lyre playing? Hide and seek?" Venti excitedly guesses. He's never been taken on a date before! You smile.

"First, let's visit the shrine. We can make wishes, it doesn't matter if we're gods ourselves."

"We could totally prank Ei. She'd be so mad." Venti chuckles. You grimace at the name and look away, sulking. You draw circles with your finger on the wall and pout.

"I forgot you dont like her, sorry y/n" Venti pats your back. You mumble something, voice whiny.

"What?"

"nyotmyfaoltsheysmeyneandnastytewmeshesnotniceatall"

"Youre not very nice to her either"

"Don't care."

"Come on, don't sulk" Venti pats your head as you huff strongly amd look away again, rolling a rock back and forth with your foot.

"no way she's bullied me all 500 years she's been about, calling me old- she said I was greying, Venti! I dont have grey hairs, do I? Or wrinkles?"

"No, you get asked for ID when you order I don't think you have anything to worry about-"

"That's something bartenders do to flatter old women! Do they think im someone's parent? What about their grandparent?!"

"It's also something they ask people who look under drinking age! Come on, no more sulking, let's go the shrine, you can wish not to look old." Venti drags you along by your hand and you still grumble about the electro goddesses comments.