chapter twenty two

you feel a pull in your chest and lift your head up from your knees where you sat around your campfire. it's strange. it feels as if xiao is calling- but you can't hear a word or pinpoint his location.

"xiao? I can't find you-" you start, before gasping and gripping your chest. you look around frantically and stand.

"shit. something is wrong down there- has to be fucking with communication..." you bite your lip and search your bag to generate any ideas on how to help.

if you went down there- whats the chance you find him? with no exact location you'd just get yourself lost. you feel a pull again. hed not call this much unless he really needed you. think.

"xiao- xiao send a sign if you can hear me- something different to my name-" you flip your head around when you feel a caress on the back of your neck.

"w-was that you? do that again of it was you-" a tap at the back of your neck. you sigh, head dropping.

"okay- okay. right shoulder for yes, left for no. uh- middle for 'i dont know' or 'maybe' can you do that?"

right

"good- good. you arent a ghost, are you?"

left

"are you hurt? injured?"

theres a hesitation before you feel a tap on your left shoulder. so he is.

"ill take that as a 'yes, but im not in immidiate danger'?"

right

"is there a way i can get to you?"

middle

"do you know why i cant hear you?"

left

"are you alone?"

right

"dangerous?"

left

"you found the traveller, then..."

right

you sigh and bite your thumbnail.

"you need help getting out?"

right

"shit, okay- okay... you'll have to give me time- find a way you can relay information to me to help. im in the dark here."

right

"I don't know how you're communicating with me right now- but I definitely didn't do it- of this is by chance then I might just cry" you let out a saddened laugh. you feel a soft, comforting hand on you shoulder.

"oh, stop it- you're the one in danger. listen carefully. I know fuck all about what's going on down there but based on the energy up here- everything around you is- wrong. senseless, if you will. you cannot beat chaos with logic- you have to find gaps in that senselessness with your own- a fight fire with fire situation- maybe. it's just a guess. but whatever you do it's going to need magic energy- probably a lot of it. to sum it up? start doing the first thing that comes to your mind, might work."

another tap on your right shoulder.

"hitting shit always works, right? I'll go see what I can do. and traveller? don't let him get himself killed. make surenot to drain your energy, whatever you do." you stand and slowly feel the hand trail off your shoulder and down your back, before it fades.

with xiao and the others, the illusion of your figure fades to swirls of light before it dissipates completely. xiao looks at the group who stood behind him as he communicated with you.