chapter seventeen

when you wake, you're thankful that immediate post coital y/n was smart enough to put clothes back on themselves and venti- and apparently to cover them with a blanket, too (though you would have been thankful if they just took you home, as nice as waking up in the wilderness is).

you rub your eyes and look to venti who slept soundly, curled up tight against your arm. looking around, you find a note.

'stay warm and return home soon, xiao'

so that's where the blanket came from. how cute. it's late already, so you should probably head back. but venti just looks so cute like this. maybe not so cute when mauled by a wild mongrel, though? you're yet to see.

you stroke his hair and he scrunches his face, opening his eyes. nuzzling into your hand and smiling after.

"we should head back, we're far from Jueyen Karst so there is no protection offered." you explain

"how dead would you be if we did that on Jueyen?" he sleepily asks.

"your title as archon would be impartial to our fate, the adeptus are quite full of themselves"

"mmmhmmm" he hums, turning over and yawning.

you shake your head, scooping him up in your arms as he smiles and lays his head on your chest. you teleport the two of you to wangshuu inn, laying venti on the bed next to a half asleep xiao who rises when you appear. venti decides to go back to sleep.

After you make sure he's comfortable and rise, xiao is infront of you.

"are you feeling better?" he asks, hesitating to be close- you pull him into a hug in which he burries his head into your neck.

"yes, much better" you say

"I'm sorry, for being so reckless, I am not yet used to having consider other peoples feelings about me still, it seems." he explains, fidgeting with your clothing. you smile.

"I know, but you try so hard, that's all I can ask." you whisper, kissing his head.

"are you coming to bed?" he asks. you nod and after changing, slip under the covers, xiao laying down after.

xiao is facing you, your back to a dreaming venti who's arm sleepily draped around your waist. xiao takes your hand in his, linking the fingers and laying your arms between you before closing his eyes, attempting to drift off. you kiss his knuckles and close your eyes after.

when you wake, both venti and xiao are up- and are both not in the room. you rise quickly, looking around and slipping a baggy shirt on, running down to the lobby. who cares in youre in your knickers?

"verr, did xiao leave with anyone?" you ask, scaring the poor lady so early in the morning.

"you mean that charming short fellow? theyre in the kitchen." she nods to her left to the stairs and you let out a breath of relief. but who the hell is describing that sticky rat as charming?

you run down to the kitchen and frown in confusion when you see them huddled around the stove.

"my starving comrades would not have even considered eating this. its simply not edible." xiao says, covering his nose with his sleeve.

"maybe we should add more salt? the colour is slightly off but i think that adds character." venti nods happily.

"you have already put 3 cups in, venti"

"exactly, a 4th would balance it out, cause its even you know?"

"i... suppose that makes sense? shouldn't we see if it's okay to eat first?"