chapter fourteen

when you return home to wangshu inn, it's quiet. the room is clean- bed made, shelves dusted. you smile softly, placing down the flower arrangement you made for xiao on the side.

"xiao? are you home?" you ask into the supposedly empty room, head turning to the bathroom when you hear a splash of water.

"im here." he says.

you walk into the bathroom and sure enough, xiao is laying back in the bath. you dip your fingers in.

"xiao, this water is freezing."

"I forgot how you made the water hot..." he grumbles.

you shake your head, unplugging the drain as you turn on the hot water. the cold water drains and the hot water replaces it.

"...you're home"

you smile. "im home. can I kiss you?"

"...yes"

you dip your head towards him, capturing his lips with yours and cherishing the horribly uncoordinated movements he makes.

you sit behind him and start to wash his hair.

"how was your time here?"

"fine. I may have... missed your company."

"I missed you too. you should gave came, there was plenty of things to do without socialising."

"I wanted you to have time with others"

"I like having time with you too though"

"we have plenty of time together."

"what we have is never enough though, right?" you whisper, rinsing his hair from suds. xiao leans his head back and looks at you as you turn the running water off, returning the plug. the occasional 'drip' still falls.

"did something upset you? someone?"

you offer a sad smile, tucking your head into the crook of his neck and closing your eyes.

"no... nothing like that... im just worried..."

"about?"

"you..."

"what about me is there to worry about?"

"your karmic debt... how has it been...?"

"the same as usual, no changes."

you press a kiss or two to his shoulders and wrap your arms around his chest, circling your fingers in the water.

"why are you asking that?"

"bad dreams..."

xiao doesn't know what to say next, so he inches his hand to link with yours.

"xiao... I don't want either of us to die before we're married..."

xiaos face flares up.

"well we have plenty of time to-"

"let's get married, right now."

"what-"

"let's go to liyue harbour and sigh the documents, to get married."

"this is- that would be improper of me-"

"I even have you a red veil- please... say yes..."

xiao searches your face with his eyes, cheeks red and mouth open.

"at least... let me get dressed..."

you smile in utter joy, pressing a kiss yo xiaos lips and head, scrambling up to grab what you needed. xiao attempts to rub the heat off his cheeks, changing into clothes after he dries his body.

"xiao, we should ask morax to sign as witness"

"yes- okay... one thing..."

"yes?"

xiao walks over to his side table, pulling out a box and slapping it into your hand, occupying himself with a useless task.

you open the box, peering at the jade ring. you look up at him.

"...jade protects you from evil. gives you luck."

"tradition says it breaks in the presence of negative energy, right?"

"yes..."

"thank you, xiao."

"it was morax... he gave it to me... told me to ask... but you asked before I did..."

"I love you, so, so much..."

"I... love you too..."

the sun is setting over the harbour as you drag xiao by the hand into wangshuu funeral parlour, immediately asking for zhongli and heading into the room you're directed to.

"morax! I have a favour to ask you." you smile wide, dusting yourself down and presenting yourself infront of the archon who sat at a table set for two.

you bow, hands clasped and back straight. xiao is trying to hide his face, admiring the blank cream wall with much valour.

"please sign as witness for xiao and i's marriage!"

zhongli stops pouring the tea into his cup, looking up, smiling, then setting the tea pot down. he stands and at this point- you're trying to stop the pee from coming out.

he walks over. "raise your head. xiao, come here." he stands I front of your both and takes a hand each.

"I would have no greater honour that completing your request and your marriage has my highest blessing." he smiles sincerely, kissing the knuckles of xiao's hand, then yours.

"to the law house, my children?"

you nod happily, pulling xiao back out with you, zhongli walking beside you both.

you enter the building, speaking to a chipper lady, despite the minutes ticking to overtime.

xiao takes the papers before you manage to grab them, you turn to him.

"would you allow me... to sign first?" he asks, picking up a pen.

you smile, nodding happily and slipping the red veil into his hair.

"when you're ready..."

xiao looks at you, then zhongli, happy the veil at least hides the colour on his face. this was big, right?

he wouldn't lie, he felt a bit sick from excitement, it was going fast, but he didn't care. he could die at any moment. so could y/n. damned he will be if they die alone.

he sighs the papers, staring at them before pushing them over to you. you sign quickly, scribbling your signature on each line and you hug xiao tight as zhongli signs.

"I pray you both live long, happy lives." he says, hand to chest with a small bow.

you lift xiaos veil, arms tight around his neck. you kiss him deeply and he's still awful at it, as always. but you love it as you love him. he's kissing you back with just as much desperation to be closer. you pulls back and hug zhongli tightly.

"thank you."

theres plenty of things you thanked him for. for accepting the marriage, for signing, for saving xiao and giving you the chance to experience the hopeless romance you do.

"you're welcome..."

and zhongli blesses your thanks for every single one.

that night, you were closer to xiao than you had ever been. there wouldn't be a day you could be closer. the consummation your marriage was as blissful as you imagined. you lay in eachother's arms, sleeping soundly. archons, you were happy.

guys can yew comment any little thoughts yew have whilst yew read i KNOW yew guys have silly thoughts when reading please oh please I'd read every single one please talk tew me