chpater twenty six

"come on come on come on!!!" venti says, bouncing on his feet with your packed bag on his shoulder. "I'm going to absolutely drain your wallet without mercy!!!"

"give me a second venti, and watch your footing on the steps they were just cleaned, you could slip" you say, scooping bird seed into the feeder at the window. it was for xiao, mainly. he seems to have taken a liking to watching them- though he'll never admit that.

xiao stood in the doorway of the room, wrapped in a blanket and hair a mess. he's still feeling sick, but you think the worse of it will be over soon and he can get back to work as he wishes. you can tell he's jittery sitting at home a lot- but you're happy to say that you think he's taking better care of himself.

"psh, stairs can't hurt me. plus, these shoes have got extra grip." brags venti, hands on their hips with a proud stance. xiao decides to entertain him.

"extra grip? what makes them grip more?" he asks. venti faces the bottom of his shoe to xiao.

"see this pattern? I bet I could run on ice. your soles are too flat xiao, you'll go sliding everywhere." venti points to xiaos supposed shoes.

"but I have no shoes on..."

"exactly. your feet should be more tactile."

xiao nods, seemingly genuinely convinced at the fact. you roll your eyes and walk over.

"your grippy shoes are amazing love, why don't we get xiao the grippiest boots we can find? he's in need of a new pair anyway. we'll have togo the blacksmith" you ask, pecking xiao on the cheek as you hear out the door. his lips invoulentarily quirk up in a quick smile.

"oouhhh they're gonna be sooo grippy you won't believe it-"

"I do have one request..." xiao starts, you smile at him to continue. "socks... the... soft ones you own"

you giggle evilly at the notion. "you want fluffy socks? you want kittens on them too?"

venti sneezes behind you.

"bunnies, maybe?"

xiaos ears turns red and he looks away. "maybe I do."

you kiss his cheek once again before taking your bag off ventis shoulder. "sounds good, we'll get you plenty. see you tonight my love." you wave as you leave and xiao nods, gently closing the door as venti runs down the stairs.

"I've never been on a shopping spree! the closest thing I've had is raiding master dilucs winery!" he smiles, taking a hold of your hand and swinging it happily.

"is that so? we have much to make up for, then" you hum.

"how come you have mora anyway? and don't say a job because I have a job and I have none!" says venti.

"I have a different job. and I don't ask to be payed in dandelion wine. but I guess it's life style, too- xiao and I don't pay for the room at wangshu inn and certainly don't eat as much as others. the area we're in has many people asking for help, so I take contracts.

and there was this one time someone accidentally shot me with an arrow- a lawyer was in the area and now I get money for being shot? im really not sure how 'compensation' works but I know I get money from it" venti nods as you speak.

"maybe I should get shot?"

"I think it has to be an accident that wasn't your fault?"

"nothings your fault if you're convincing enough."

venti and you arrive in liyue harbour not long after you set off, venti commenting on the smell of your rolled cigarettes (both xiao and venti seem to hate the smell) and consistently pulling on your arm.

"I haven't been here in so long- so much has changed." venti looks around, spinning on his oh-so-grippy shoes.

"the citizens haven't- all they do it talk about Mondstadt- shut up about its archon after theirs died-"

"don't say that I think we'll get sacrificed!" venti drops to a whisper. "I'm just a bit terrified of anyone who worships that old man a bit too much. they give me the heebie-jeebies." he looks around cautiously and you chuckle slightly.

"let's go commission xiaos boots at rhe blacksmith before we do anything else to save time. sound good?"

"mmhm!"

you walk together to the blacksmith chatting as you walk, venti bumps into a few people from sheer excitement but apologises quickly. you talk to the blacksmith about the order, mentioning a few adjustments you've heard xiao note in the past. venti interrupted mentioning grip, proudly slamming their foot on the table.

after he takes your notes, you head off down the market streets. ventis head turns, braids following whilst he looks for clothing shops.

"is it culturally appropriate to wear some of this?" he asks, holding up a flowing hanfu.

you hum in confirmation. "as long as you wear it in the right way- it's more about context, really. that's what xiao has said when I asked, anyway."

venti nods, admiring the fabrics before chatting to the store owner happily about their work.

"and what company do you bring this time?" a voice comes from behind, deep smile ominous to make you jump. you pull a small dagger from your sleeve and turn. a hand grabs your wrist gently and you sigh as you face zhongli.

"we went over how being hot and mysterious is fine if you're not an ass about it..." you mumble, putting the dagger away.

"apologies. what is it doing here?" he nods towards venti who definitely knows zhongli is there.

"new clothes" you answer, crossing your arms. you feel a sudden weight on your back and instinctively grab onto venti who just jumped onto your back. he wraps his arms around your neck close and grins at zhongli who's face turns into disgust.

"he hasn't been near xiao, has he?"

"'course I have! we slept together-" venti states proudly and the cashier starts sweating slightly as venti slips off your back and walks closer to zhongli.

"you- you- you- you-" zhonglis eye is twitching and won't stop repeating himself. you think he may be broken.

"uh oh, he's never done this before..." venti whispers and looks down, thinking. making a small sound of surprise as he feels himself being picked up by the collar of his shirt and capes. their face drops when they see zhongli at eye level.

"hhheey- so I was just jo-" venti doesn't have time to finish, because zhongli has accordingly throw him at full strength (god power included) out the door. you stand, mouth open as venti is flung over a balcony and into the waters of the harbour.

zhongli turns to you. "and you! he's your husband! how could you?" he grabs you by the front of your clothing. you sweat profusely.

"wait waiT WAIT--- JUST IN THE SAME BE-" its too late, you follow ventis path through the air and into the water, landing ontop of the poor bard who just came up for air. you swim up quickly and reach under the water to pull up venti, putting his soaked beret on too. you both float in the water as zhongli stares down at you from the balcony. venti waves with a bug smile and you nudge him to stop, swimming to the ledge to climb out, helping venti up too. venti sits next to you, ringing out his braids and hat.

you sigh. "now were gonna need new-" theres a sudden, strong (rather warm) and direct gust of wind for a few moments and youre dry. venti smiles at you and you sigh, pecking his forehead.

"he's gone to sulk, let's get back to shopping?"

venti hums. "let's!"