- - 16 - -

- - chapter sixteen - -make this man better

make this man better

When Indigo returned to her flat, she wasn't surprised to find that George was already there and waiting for her to return. He had read the note that she left him but knew that whenever her mother was involved, she would return in a bad mood and needed to get everything out of her system. He knew from his own experience that Polly Parker wasn't a very nice woman and that despite only having one daughter, still didn't know how to show her affection or her love. It seemed that all she could do was tear down Indigo, even on her best days and for that reason, he was always prepared to listen. He sat on the sofa, Basil perched on his lap as he scratched the cat behind the ears and let Indigo rant about everything that had happened as she paced back and forth in the room. It sounded as though this meeting hadn't gone very well, not that he expected any different, but somehow Polly had really gotten under Indigo's skin.

"The worst part? She wants me to bring a date!"

Even though he had been listening the whole time, understanding that a charity gala wasn't the most exciting event to attend, he didn't understand how that was the worst part. "Sorry, isn't that one of the main rules of a party? You don't go alone."

"You don't understand, George. My mother will be expecting me to bring some washed up political candidate that she wants me to marry. This gala isn't about having fun, it's about possible husbands."

"Isn't your brother bringing a date as well?" He asked.

"Yes!" Indigo ran her hands through her hair. "And it's for the exact same reason, so that our parents can marry us off and paint the perfect picture for the next voting season...I just wish that there was a way for me to enjoy the night but also get back at my mum for this stupid rule."

George raised an eyebrow, thinking of a way that she could enjoy the dance with someone that she likes and get back at her mother for the stupid date rule. "Well, why don't you go with me?"

"Good one." She faked a laugh, not thinking that he was serious.

"I'm being serious, Indie, I'll go to the gala with you." He paused, as she stared back at him and wondered whether it was a good idea. "Look, we both know that I'm super charming and handsome, and I can show you a good time. Plus, doesn't hurt that your mother already hates me."

"I think she'll have a heart attack if I go with you." Indigo raked her brain for another answer but there wasn't another answer, this was a genius idea and it could work. "I guess that's not as bad as dying, right?"

George laughed and made himself comfortable on the sofa. "Don't worry, I know the only reason you're agreeing to this is because you know how handsome I'll look in a suit."

"Oh yeah, definitely, that's the only reason I'm going along with this." She paused, taking a seat next to him on the sofa and allowing Basil to climb off George's lap and onto her own. "You know, I really didn't think I would be invited to the gala, not after what happened last time."