- - 20 - -

- - chapter twenty - - demons i try to defend

demons i try to defend

It wasn't an easy journey for Indigo to make, she wasn't sure that going to Romania was the right answer but she knew that she needed answers for everything that had happened and the only way to get answers was by talking to her father. She knew that her mother was around but there was no way that Polly Parker was going to tell her the truth about what happened when she was eleven, she had never told the truth before so why would she start now? She had stuck to the same story for years, happy with her perfect life running the town with her perfect husband and had tried several times to get the perfect nuclear family but Indigo never gave into the stereotypes. She didn't want to be part of a perfect family, because it was a lie, their entire lives were lies and she hated it. That was why she was so focused on the wizarding world, finding answers and wanting to know exactly what had happened which forced her father to leave them. Was it all because of her inability to hone magic or did the reasoning go deeper than that?

George knew that she was uneasy about the whole trip and held her hand the entire time, from the time that he picked her up in the flat to when they arrived at Charlie's home in Romania. He hadn't let go of her and wanted her to know that whatever happened, he was going to be right beside her. Charlie let them settle into the spare bedroom before bringing them down to the quarry where he worked, it was where they spent most of their time when they weren't training the dragons or going on missions to bring them in. Indigo's heart was beating wildly against her chest and her hands were clammy, she didn't really know what she was going to say to him when she saw him. She wasn't sure if she would even recognise him if she saw him because her memories of her father were blurred, she wondered if he would even talk to her about what happened or sent her packing. She was glad that she wasn't in the country alone otherwise she wouldn't have the confidence to do this but it was still hard for her to walk through the quarry.

Soon enough Charlie stopped them, and pointed to a man who was holding a clipboard and checking some of the empty cages around the edges. Knowing that this was who they needed to talk to, George led her closer and was the one to speak up. "Jaspar? Jaspar Bennett?"

"That's me." The man turned around, looking just like he did in the picture that had been kept in the photo album, it was like he hadn't aged a day. The same soft features, with dark spectacles on the edge of his nose but some wrinkles near his eyes that weren't there before. He didn't recognise the young people in front of him and pushed his glasses up his nose, frowning at them, wondering what they wanted. "What can I do for you?"

"We'll give you some privacy." Charlie smiled softly to Indigo, knowing that this was something that she needed to do on her own.

"I'll be with Charlie, if you need anything." George reminded her, kissing the top of her head and letting go of her hand for the first time that day. Indigo hadn't realised how much she depended on his hold until he started walking away and she felt more vulnerable than she had in a long time, stood right in front of her father, who didn't even know who she was.