2

Emily's POV

An old man with white gloves opened the door for me to reveal the beauty of the inside. Full-window walls were stretching from right to left. It was one of those penthouses that can take your breath out of your lungs. The marble floor was connected to plain white walls with lots of paintings on them. You could see that the place was decorated with a royal taste by the furniture and statues all around it.

My mind quickly drifted back to the memory of the house of my last step-family. The wave of nerves passed through me. They were very rich people and adopted me when I was twelve. I've lived there for a year and couldn't take more and ran away when I had the best chance. They were nice to me but their lifestyle made me fear them. I knew they were some kind of Mafia or something because no one can have so many security guards all around the house. It was hard for me to keep up with them. I never understood why they even took me because most of the time they were away and I was left with the maid, the only person in my life that I got attached to. She was a kind Mexican woman with warm features. She always made me smile and protected me from my step-brother. That rotten, two years older than me boy was making my life miserable. He was arrogant and always made me cry. By the age of thirteen, I had enough of that and when my step-parents took off again on an urgent business trip I packed my backpack and ran away in the middle of the night. I moved to Chicago and changed my name when I turned eighteen. I took some money from the study of my stepfather before leaving. I knew that I had to secure myself for not ending up in a bad place. Like that really helped...

I was taken back to reality when a man slammed the door shut and showed me the way to the giant L-shaped couch. A second after I sat there a nice-looking middle-aged woman appeared in my sight. She was old enough but she looked like a newly polished coin with a big bright smile on her face. Her long dyed hair was brushed neatly in waves reaching to her shoulders. It was sure that she spends half of her life in all these beauty saloons where you get all that sticky stuff on your face. She was wearing a long burgundy dress that ended right above her knees and fitted her like a glove. She gave me a nod and sat on the armchair opposite me.

"Well, what a delight to finally meet you in person Miss Green," she said with a soft but confident voice. Her eyes were looking at me closely. " As you may understand by now I am not your average client. I need someone who will make the job quickly, silently, and without any issues." Well, from what I saw till now I sure understand that I should keep my mouth shut even about me walking past this building. " I need you to check on my dearest boy whether he is loyal to me or not. I prepared a contract for you and I expect you to read it very carefully." I took the pile of papers from the coffee table near my legs and was shocked by the number of pages. Am I catching a cheater or claiming to serve my country as a marine?

"I can assure you I am the best in my field and confidentiality is my main rule," I said without blinking as I folded all the papers in my hands.

"That is good to know Miss Green. You will find all the instructions there and also the amount of your bonus if you get the job done. Now if you will excuse me I have some more work to do. Dominico will help you out." She stretched her hand to me and I took it in a light grip.

On my way home I decided to call my only girlfriend Jess and invite her for a couple of drinks. I sent her a message that I will be waiting for her in our usual place in ten minutes. I took a deep breath of wet air feeling every drop of it in my lungs and made my way to the pub.

I opened the door to a dim pub and made my way straight to the bar. The familiar smile made my lips curl in a grin as I took a seat on a high stool and rested my elbows on the edge of the wooden edge. Jack owned this place and was also a bartender. He was the one who helped me to settle in this town. He was near his forty's but he was still looking hot as hell although I always thought of him as some kind of an older brother.

"Drinking in the middle of the week? That's nothing new" he laughed and passed me a glass half full of whiskey. That man knew me better than I knew myself. I looked up at him and gave him an evil glare which made him only spread his smile wider. 

The place was old with a hitch from 60ty's but it was clean and neat. I come here a couple of times a week to drink a fiery drink and relax. 

"Hey kiddo, looks like your friend had a bad day," Jack said to me as I looked back at the door and saw Jess with all the possible anger in her eyes. Jack didn't hesitate a second and poured one more glass for her.

"Okay! I need a drink and make it fast and a lot! Don't you dare to leave my glass empty Jack!" Jess yelled and slammed her ass to the seat near me. I only had to look at her ones to understand that her yet another damn boyfriend pissed her off again and now all she wanted was to get wasted while spilling all the beans to me.

As the night went by and the two of us ended the fifth glass we were now sitting at the corner table at the end of the bar giggling and making fun of the same drunk people among us. This girl was my biggest friend and my biggest problem. She always got herself into trouble and I end up saving her pretty ass. She was a perky one in spite of her height. We actually met each other in this same bar when we were trying to make a fight. God knows how it could've ended if it wasn't for Jack to take care of two fucked up girls ready to tear each other apart.

"Okay, I told you my common shit about Michel. Now it's your turn to find some sweet ass and finally start living a life" she blabbered to me while looking through all the tables that surrounded us. I was too drunk to argue with her. Hell, I was too drunk to even stand up and go to the restroom. Jess hopped up from her seat and made her way straight to the nearest table crashing her ass on the chair and looking intensively at the three men sitting there. I looked up at Jack who started to look nervous and even frightened when he saw Jess. Why do I have a feeling that tonight won't be a simple night?