|| PART 16 ||

"Should it be this long?" Pallavi asked, holding a thread. "Yeah, perfect," Uma replied, with a gracious smile and picked up the next flower to tie.

Uma and Pallavi were making the flower garlands for the engagement function that is to be held the next day. Seeing the situation favorable as it was just the two of them alone, Pallavi decided to take the chance and ask Uma the question that had been in her mind for so long.

"Uma ji," Pallavi, called, after battling with her thoughts for a while. "Yes," Uma answered while tying the flowers onto the thread. "Don't get me wrong if I ask you something. Can I?" Pallavi prepared the atmosphere for the question. "Go on, Pallavi, why are you taking too much time for giving the preface?" Uma asked, looking at Pallavi momentarily.

"Why did you want Prachi to be your daughter in law?" Pallavi dropped the question.

"Why? Isn't Prachi a good girl?" Uma questioned her, in return.

"Yeah, maybe," Pallavi said, pausing for a while, "but there are lot of good girls around, but we won't choose all of them as our daughter-in-laws, right?" 

Uma burst out laughing, hearing her words.

"You are really funny Pallavi," Uma said, placing the finished garland in the basket.

"If you are so keen on knowing the reason, I will tell you," she said, and Pallavi listened.

"I have worked as a teacher for more than two decades. I have been across many, many students, belonging to all the types, rich, poor, spoilt, studious, lazy, etc. Experience from work and life had helped me understand people.  I have taught thousands of people, of different age groups. But Prachi was something different. Though many of my students were familiar with my family, she is the only student of mine with whom my family got close with. She is beautiful, kind, gentle, good at everything and what not. Who will not like her," Uma said.

"And, if you ask me why I chose this 'good girl' for my son, it is because, my son likes her. He want her to be his wife," Uma said, quoting the word 'good girl' in air. "It is his life, his decisions. He is the one who is getting married. I feel that his life partner must be of his choice and not someone whom I or someone else force on him," Uma said standing up from the place she was sitting.

"I am sure, you might have chosen Rhea because Ranbir likes her, isn't? And so did I let my son make the choice," Uma said with a smile before walking away, taking the basket in which the garlands were.

Pallavi sat there still, staring absentmindedly at Uma's retreating figure. Her words lingering in her ears.

"It is his life, his decisions."

"He is the one who is getting married. I feel that his life partner must be of his choice and not someone whom I or someone else force on him."

"I am sure, you might have chosen Rhea because Ranbir likes her, isn't?"

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Prachi, is there anyone whom you want to invite to the engagement ceremony?" Pragya asked, while checking some bills.

"No maa," Prachi said, lifelessly.

"Aren't you happy?" Pragya asked, looking up from the papers, hearing the tone in which Prachi spoke.