|| PART 17 ||

The Mehra Mansion was a sight to behold, as it was adorned with colorful flowers, lights, and fabrics for the engagement ceremony of Prachi and Pranav. The sprawling lawn was transformed into a festive venue, with a stage, a dance floor, and a buffet area.

The guests were greeted by the smiling faces of the Mehra family, who were dressed in their finest outfits. Abhi and Pragya were busy welcoming and chatting with the relatives and friends.

Rhea on the other hand was least interested in the festivities but was enraged seeing her parents busy with Prachi's engagement celebration whereas none of them were active during hers. A pang of jealousy and hatred filled her heart. But since everyone was busy with the preparations, she had no choice but remain calm. Moreover, she want Prachi to be engaged to another man so that Ranbir will be secure in her hands.

"Where are you going Ranbir," she asked, catching on to his hands, when she caught him in her sight.

"I have to buy something," he said, removing her hand from his.

"I am coming with you," she said.

"I will be back soon," Ranbir said, cupping her face in his hands and she melted in his touch.

 "Okay," she said and he walked away, her sight lingering on his retreating back.

---------------------------------------------------------

"You look lovely," the beautician said to Prachi. Prachi's eyes met her own gaze in the mirror.

She was wearing a deep crimson red lehenga, heavily embroidered with golden threadwork, featuring intricate floral and paisley motifs that shimmer with every movement. The skirt is paired with a matching choli, that has delicate beadwork along the neckline and sleeves, adding a touch of elegance. The dupatta, adorned with a border of the same golden embroidery, was artfully arranged to cascade over one shoulder, while the other end is tucked into her skirt.

A maang tikka rested on her forehead, jhumkas on her ears and bangles adorning her wrists. 

Prachi's hair was styled in an elegant up do that complements her traditional attire. Her lustrous, dark hair is swept back from her face and twisted into a sophisticated bun at the nape of her neck. This classic hairstyle not only accentuated the length of her neck but also provided a perfect anchor for her maang tikka, allowing the pendant to gently rest on her forehead. A few wispy strands were left out to frame her face, softening the look.

 "All the best for your engagement," the beautician wished, as packed her tools. Prachi just smiled in response.

With a final glance at Prachi, she moved out of the room.

Prachi was lost in her own world of thoughts. 

The tension between her and Ranbir, her heart belonging to him, the deal she made with Rhea, her sister, her impending engagement to Pranav within a few hours... everything was making her feel suffocated. 

She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't notice Ranbir sneaking into the room through the window, nor did she see him stealthily approaching the door.

It was only when the door clicked shut and the sound of it locking echoed in the room that Prachi snapped out of her reverie and raised her head to look at the mirror in front of her.