|| PART 26 ||

"Hi Uma," Aaliya called out, her voice echoing softly in the spacious hall. Uma turned, her face lighting up with a warm smile. "Hi Aaliya," she replied, her tone gentle and welcoming.

"So, the wedding day is drawing close," Aaliya remarked.

Uma nodded, her eyes reflecting a complex mix of emotions. "Yes, it is. And the Haldi ceremony is just two days away," she replied, the undercurrent of tension in her voice betraying her calm exterior.

A heavy silence settled between them. Finally, Aaliya broke the silence, her words cutting through the quiet.

"Did you... um, ask Shrenu about the proposal?" Aaliya inquired, a hopeful glimmer dancing in her eyes.

"Yes, I did," Uma affirmed, "on the same day as Prachi and Pranav's engagement." Her voice held a note of solemnity as she spoke.

"And what did she say?" Aaliya pressed, her smile widening with anticipation.

Uma hesitated, her expression faltering for a moment before she reached out, taking Aaliya's hands in a comforting grasp. "Actually," she began, her voice barely above a whisper, "Shrenu likes Aaryan as a friend, nothing more."

Aaliya's face fell slightly. "So she might also be considering marrying him?" she asked, a hint of desperation creeping into her voice.

"No, Aaliya. She said no," Uma clarified, her words deliberate. "Shrenu mentioned she has a crush on someone else, a senior at her college, and she promised to reveal his identity to me if he reciprocated her feelings."

"A random senior guy?" Aaliya asked, surprise etching her features. "How can you believe that? Maybe my son is better."

"It's not about who is better, Aaliya. If she is to get married, then it should be her choice," Uma explained, her conviction clear. "And I believe in my daughter's choice."

Aaliya remained silent, absorbing Uma's words. "I am sorry, Aaliya," Uma said, her voice soft as she patted Aaliya's palm. "I really like Aaryan, but Shrenu's heart lies elsewhere."

"I can understand," Aaliya finally said, her voice tinged with resignation.

"Thank you," Uma replied, gracefully excusing herself to avoid prolonging the awkwardness of the moment.

As Uma navigated through the crowd, she nearly collided with Purab. "Sorry..." he muttered, stepping back just in time.

"That's okay," Uma murmured, her thoughts elsewhere as she continued on her way.

Purab watched her leave before turning towards the storeroom. He slipped inside, ensuring privacy before approaching the last rack. Climbing onto a nearby chair, he searched for the vase, his movements growing frantic when it was nowhere to be found.

"Where did it go?" he muttered to himself, scouring the rack thoroughly but to no avail. Tension knotted his brow as he moved to another rack, his search equally fruitless.

Just then, a knock at the door startled him. He opened it to find Dadi standing there, an enigmatic expression on her face. "Dida, you..." he began, but his words trailed off as she revealed the photographs in her hand.

"Are you looking for these?" she asked.

Purab's complexion drained of color, his eyes widening in shock. "I... You... The photographs..." he stammered.

Dadi stepped inside, closing the door behind her. "Aaryan needed a vase for a college project. I sent Giridhar to fetch it, and these photos were hidden inside," she explained.

Purab took the photo from her, his eyes brimming with unshed tears as he gazed at Disha and Sunny. "You still love her, don't you?" Dadi asked, her hand resting on his shoulder.