Chapter 17: Vandal Savage's Origin

(30 minutes earlier)

(Hall of Doom)

(The Legion of Doom is seen celebrating their victory)

Vandal Savage: To victory.

Legion of Doom: To victory.

Vandal Savage: To the Legion of Doom.

Legion of Doom: To the Legion of Doom.

Deathstroke: Wait. A further toast. So many before me have been trying to kill Batman for nearly 10 years. Well, this time, I did better than kill him... I humiliated him.

Reverse Flash: Hear, hear. Each of us finally got the better of our opposite numbers... and it's all thanks to the genius of one man... Vandal Savage.

Sivana: Yes, he's the man.

Ocean Master: Ha, ha, to the man.

Sinestro: And his checks clear.

Deathstroke: I love my money.

Vandal Savage: Our business is completed. You are, of course, free to go.

Maxima: You hinted at a larger scheme and said there would be a place for us in it... should we so choose.

Vandal Savage: I did. And the offer remains open to you all. But I fear you may lack the vision to go along with me. The next stage of my plans might be considered... genocidal.

Sivana: What are you gonna do, destroy the world?

Vandal Savage: Nothing so crude. Half. Two-thirds at the most. It's not a joke. It's the next step in a plan to transform the planet in a manner... that will render your $100-million payday both trivial and meaningless.

Deathstroke: What possible profit could there be in destroying the world?

Vandal Savage: The first thing you have to understand is that I am old. Older than the human race. I know that you believe this to be true. It is true.

(Flashback to 80.000 years ago)

Vandal Savage: Eighty thousand years ago... I was living in what is now the island of Sumatra.

(Various meteors are seen as Vandal Savage is seen hiding in a cave)

Vandal Savage: One night, the sky lit up with streaks of fire. Meteors. But my primitive mind thought the stars were falling from the sky.

(Vandal Savage sees a meteor in his valley)

Vandal Savage: One meteor fell to Earth in my valley. My compatriots ran... but it was very cold and the glowing stone was warm. I slept there... bathed in the meteor's strange radiations.

(Vandal Savage is seen waking up and realizes something changed within him)

Vandal Savage: And when I awoke the next morning, I was forever changed. The radiation mutated me, evolving me. I was instantly aware of my increased intelligence. It was only with the passage of time that I discovered the rest of my gift.

(Flashback ends)

Vandal Savage: So far as I know, I cannot die.

Cheetah: Is that a fact?

Vandal Savage: Go ahead.

(Then Cheetah slits Vandal Savage's throat and he falls down, bleeding)

Maxima: Why did you do this?

Cheetah: Don't you realize what he's planning? In his new world, our money doesn't matter.

Vandal Savage: (gets up) You are correct. Money won't matter. It's trivial in the long run. Let me tell you about the long run. I've lived thousands of lives. I've been a laborer, a scientist, a priest, an artist, a healer, a thief. But most often a conqueror.

Deathstroke: I'm still not seeing how this makes up for my money.

(Flashback to 75.000 year ago)

Vandal Savage: Seventy-five thousand years ago... a disaster nearly rendered humanity extinct. I enslaved the survivors and ruled with an iron hand. In a few generations... my people were well under way to repopulating the Earth... and becoming the planet's dominant species.

(Flashback ends)

Vandal Savage: I was happy then.

Maxima: Let me get this straight. You're taking the world over out of nostalgia?

Vandal Savage: I'm taking over because humanity is prideful and belligerent... the Union is a living proof of that... and once again humanity needs my guiding hand. But before I take over, I intend to soften them up. By destroying half the world. Those who survive will happily follow a leader... who offers food, comfort and order.

Reverse Flash: That could work.

Vandal Savage: It will work. To you, my warlords, I offer dominion over as much of what remains of the planet... as each of you can hold, second only to me. Interested?

Sinestro: You haven't left us much choice.

Sivana: Heh, how do you propose to kill that many people?

Deathstroke: Even without the Justice League, there are heroes like the Dekaranger, who will fight.

Vandal Savage: They'll lose.

(Then Vandal Savage shows a footage of the Space Station LOKI)

(At Dekaranger Base)

Richard: I'll tell you what we will do to defeat this Legion of Doom.

(Then the screen goes black)

(To be continued)