Chapter 5

Rowan's POV

"So, what do you think." Every year, Matt would try to do something for my birthday with me. I always turned him down since I would much rather just pretend that my birthday was just like any other day. I haven't wanted to do anything for my birthday for years.

"It's uh, it's cool." Even though I really didn't want a party, I wasn't going to tell Matt that. He's a great friend and I wouldn't want to make him feel bad for something when he was just trying to do something nice for me.

"Wow I love your enthusiasm." I chuckled and rolled my eyes as I drank some more booze out of my cup. "Hey, I-" Before Matt could finish his sentence, a tipsy Jake walked up to us.

"Hey, dudes... do you guys wanna play Would You Rather?" I never really liked Jake. Matt's the quarterback, and I'm the wide receiver. Jake is usually on the bench during games. He likes the title and the uniform of a football player but doesn't like the actual football part. He also likes to think that Matt, him, and me are the best of friends.

"Jake, why would we want to play a stupid game of Would You Rather?" It was very clear that there was annoyance in Matt's voice.

"Claire the cheerleader will be there." Matt would never admit it, but he's had a crush on Claire Cassidy, or "Claire the Cheerleader" as Jake liked to call her, since sophomore year. She's definitely a nicer cheerleader compared to most of them. I always thought that it would be funny if they started dating with the whole, "cheerleader and quarterback" thing.

"Fine we'll play." I chuckled knowing that Matt thought he hid the crush well. We walked over and sat down in a circle to see two random drunk girls and Claire already sitting down. A few seconds after we sat down, I could see Veronica, another cheerleader, walking over to us with Harper close behind. They sat down, which completed the circle.

"Ok now that we have everyone, let's start. You all know the rules?" Everyone nodded. "Ok, I'll go first." She spun the bottle so hard that it spun for what felt like and hour. It ended up landing on Claire. "Claire, would you rather, straddle Jake or Matt for 60 seconds?" I felt conflicted about the question. I was some what laughing inside knowing that Matt would be slightly dying inside, waiting for her answer. But, I also felt bad for Claire knowing that Jake was most likely giving her some type of look right now. 

"I guess...Matt" I looked at Matt who was looking at me, worriedly. A smirk formed on my face as I nudged his arm. She crawled over to Matt and sat on his lap until the timer went off. Claire got off of his lap and went back to where she was sitting.

"Ok! Since Claire was asked, now she gets to spin the bottle!" The bottle spun once more and landed on Jake this time.

"Um ok... Jake, would you rather pick your nose and eat it, or compliment a girl, without being a pervert?" I chuckled at the fact that everyone knew exactly which of the options Jake was going to choose.

"Hell, I'll eat my boogers!" I rolled my eyes at Jake for what felt like the millionth time this week.

"Ok, ok! Um, I guess it's Jake's turn." Jake reached out to the bottle and spun it around. This time, it landed on Harper. Jake never hid his facial expressions well so I could see the clear smug smirk on his face. I looked over at Matt who was clearly upset. I can't blame him for being mad though considering that I was getting mad too for some reason. 

 Jake "thought" for a few seconds and then made eye contact with Harper. Once again, he had his "signature smirk" on his face.

"Harper, would you rather... kiss me, or kiss Mr. Birthday Boy for 30 seconds straight?" Everyone was staring at Harper, all with different expressions on their faces. I obviously didn't want her to kiss Jake but, I knew that Matt would hate it if she kissed me. I decided to just ask her to not kiss either of us. I knew everyone in the circle would Make crap out of me if I asked her out loud however. I just "mouthed" her the words,

"Don't kiss either of us, please." Harper being Harper, however, didn't listen to me. She crawled over to me, and started to kiss me. I couldn't even begin to describe the feeling that I got when our lips touched. It hit me after about 10 seconds that... I was kissing Harper freaking Ryan! She's my best friends sister! The timer went off after the thirty seconds were over, Harper parted our lips and I got this feeling of... disappointment? I was disappointed that the kiss was over?