Chapter 29

Rowan's POV

"Hi sweetie, I thought you said you wouldn't be home tonight?" My mom says, greeting me when I walk through the door.

"Change of plans mom." If she can tell that something is up with me, she doesn't ask; probably can tell that even if she did I wouldn't talk about it.

"If you're hungry, there's some leftover spaghetti in the fridge."

"I'm ok mom, I'm just tired so I'm just gonna go to bed."

"Alright sweetie, I love you."

"Love you too mom." And with that, I go to my room and close the door.

*****

I've been home for about an hour and I've finally accepted that I most likely won't be falling asleep tonight. I know that I wanted Matt to know, but I didn't want him to find out that way. I'm still trying to figure out if I heard what he said correctly. Why would he think that I would cause Harper harm in any way, shape, or form? It makes me wonder what he thought about me before he knew that Harper and I are together. 

Suddenly I hear the front door open. Weird, I thought dad wasn't supposed to be home till later. 

"Oh! Well hello there! I haven't seen you here in a while!"

"Yeah, it's been a minute. Um... is Rowan home?" Harper's voice immediately makes my feet fall onto the floor and I walk to the top of the stairs so I get a clear view of her. She's here. She's in my house. 

She must have heard my footsteps because as soon as I reach the stairs, her gaze falls on mine.

"Hey Rowan." Her expression softens a bit, more relaxed. She gives my mom a small smile and the walks up the stairs to meet me in the hallway. Before she can say anything, I grab her hand and take her to my room. I don't know what we're going to say, but I know that whatever it ends up being, I don't want my mom to hear it. 

As soon as the door is closed, my mouth opens.

"I'm sorry Matt found out that way. I don't care that he's mad at me 'cause I get that, but I don't want him to be mad at you. I can try to explain everythi-" Before I know it, Harper's hands are on my cheeks, and she shuts me up by landing her lips on mine. For a moment, I let myself indulge in the kiss, needing her touch.

After the moment is over, I pull back from the kiss-- reluctantly I might add. A smile is slowly growing on my face, her presence never ceasing to bring some calm into my life. While I won't let myself kiss her again until we've talked about this, I can't help myself from resting my forehead on hers and using my arms to hug her waist, getting her as close as possible to me.

"It's not your fault," she whispers, "it's not mine either, it's not even Matt's fault. It'll all be ok eventually, we just... just need to give Matt some time to accept us 'cause I'm not going anywhere, and I sure as hell hope you aren't either." 

"Believe me, I don't want to be anywhere other than with you." She lets out a light sigh and her hands fall from my face to my shoulders. "Were you worried that I wouldn't?"

"Honestly... a little, especially after what Matt asked me." When he asked if she was ok. Wondering if I had hurt her. I lift my gaze and see her eyes looking directly into mine. "You know I never thought that about you. I know that you would never do anything I didn't want you to... right?"

"Yeah, I know I just... I guess I never thought that Matt would think of me that way. I guess that explains why he never wanted us to date in the first place."

"Yeah...I guess." Now her hands are trailing down my chest. Once they get to the hem of my shirt, she starts to slide them up, this time in side of my shirt. "Ya know... I really don't want to go home right now with Matt being there... what do ya say we just have our night together here? I'm not having sex with you with your mother downstairs-" I chuckle at the last bit. 

"Trust me Harper, I wasn't planning on doing that either."

"But..." She says with a mocking voice, "we could just finish our movie, cuddle a bit, and then fall asleep?"

"Sounds like a perfect night to me." Finally, I let myself bend down to bring my lips to hers. "Wait" I say, breaking the kiss. Harper has a disappointed look on her face but hopefully in a few seconds she won't anymore. "I just... I need to tell you that... I love you. I have for a while I guess, probably before we even started dating. You don't have to say it back but... I don't think I could've gone another day without telling you." As I suspected, the disappointment disappears from her face and is replaced by one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen on her face. 

"I love you too, Rowan." 

What a perfect night indeed.