Chapter 31

It's finally here. Prom. Asher, Alex, and I are getting ready at Alex's house. Our plan for this entire year was to get ready at my house, but... I knew Matt would be there and honestly, I didn't want Rowan picking me up while Matt was present. It's my senior prom, and I just want to be able to enjoy it without my brother getting in a pissy mood about who my date is. 

"Ok so let me get this straight..." I say to Asher, "Whenever we do face masks at my house, you refuse to use the ones that I have there... but when we do them at Alex's house, you jump to use hers?"

"I'm so glad you get me." Rolling my eyes, I take the rubber spatula thing that Alex let me borrow and start to apply a peel-off face mask. Alex already has hers on, and Asher went with a sheet mask. 

"Ok so what time are the boys picking us up?" Alex asks. Caleb, Alex's date, has the biggest car so the plan is for him to pick up Rowan and Trent, Asher's date, and then come to Alex's house to pick us up.

"About 5:30, the dance starts at 5:45, and we'll probably eat when we get there."

"Alright so that gives us about..." Asher says looking at his phone, "3 more hours to get ready... I can make it work."

*****

"Annnnnd... we are all finally done!" I'm finally finished with Alex's lips and that concludes all of our hair, makeup and outfits.

 we are all finally done!" I'm finally finished with Alex's lips and that concludes all of our hair, makeup and outfits

*Harper's dress*

*Alex's dress*

*Asher's tie*

"Damn we look sexy!" Asher says, staring at himself in the mirror.

"I still can't believe that you chose a Lego tie to wear to prom." Alex says, picking up her clutch.

"Well, no one else is going to have this tie and that's all that matters." I mean, I gotta give him that.

Suddenly, Alex's phone dings with a notification.

"The boys are hereeee!" I check mirror one last time before walking out the door, with Asher and Alex right behind me. After very carefully walking down the porch stairs, I look up and instantly stop in my place.

"Is that a freaking limo?!"

"Surprise!" Rowan says, getting out of the limo. I turn around and see that Asher and Alex both have a knowing smirk on their faces.

"Did you guys know about this?!"

"I mean we my have had an inkling..." Asher says, walking past me. I'm still in shock and frozen in my place by the time Asher and Alex both reach the limo.

"I will carry you if I have to ya know." Oh shit. Rowan is now standing next to me. When the hell did he walk over here? He starts bending down to pick me up, but I stop him before he can.

"I love you, but I'm not risking my makeup and hair." He stands up straight and smiles at me. 

"Not even a little bit?" He says, eyes going down to my lips.

"Well... maybe just a little bit." This is what matte liquid lipstick is for ladies... Just as Rowan's lips start to brush mine, we're interrupted my Asher's voice.

"Hey lovebirds! You can make out on the way there! I'll even put a curtain up if you want!" I roll my eyes and give Rowan a quick peck before holding his hand in mine and walking to the limo.

*****

"Holy shit, this is nice!" I say as soon as we get to the hotel where the dance is being held. Besides last year's prom, I had only ever been to dances that were held in the school gym, so having a school dance in a hotel and not a sweaty gym that reeks of testosterone is really cool. 

We get to our table, place our things down, and head over to the buffet. 

After eating, talking with some other people, and dancing a bit, a slower song starts to play and couples start heading for the dance floor. 

"May I have this dance?" Rowan says, holding his hand out to me.

"You may." I reply curtsying a little. I take his hand, and he leads me to the dance floor, near the center. I know people are staring at us, but neither of us care. As soon as he places his hands on my hips, and my hands around his neck, it's just the two of us there.

Suddenly light starts to flood in from the door, and when I look over, I make eye contact with Matt for the first time in two weeks.