Chapter 32

Matt's POV

"I know we're late and all but... that was worth it." Claire pants.

"And I didn't even ruin your hair... mostly" I say with a smirk.

After getting ourselves back together, I climb up to the front seat and start my car.

"We're a half hour late... but we're here now."

"Once again.... worth it." I smile at Claire's comment, and then run out of the car and to her side so I can open the door for her.

I'm obviously happy to be with Claire, but there's still the small feeling that wishes Rowan was here. I'm still obviously pissed at him... I mean, Harper is my sister, and Rowan is my best friend, those things shouldn't mix. It also didn't help how I found out. And what do ya know, when I walk into the ballroom of the hotel, the first thing I see is Harper and Rowan in the center of the dance floor, slow dancing.

I make eye contact with Harper for the first time in forever, and my jaw tenses seeing how close Rowan and Harper are. Claire must notice my facial expression because I can feel her hand rubbing soothing circles on my back.

"I know you're mad at them for keeping it a secret from you, but you have to admit that they have been happier since they got together."

"Wait. Do you know when they first started dating?" She gives me a small nod. "How?! I don't even know that."

"Matt, you're very cute, but also very oblivious. They've been together since the Decade Dance."

"The Decade Dance?! But didn't Harper go with Liam?"

"Ok maybe it was a bit after the dance. But either way... it was kind of easy to figure it out. They would be happy at the same time, sad at the same time, and they weren't subtle with their glances at each other when we were all hanging out at school." Wow. Am I really that oblivious? I guess I did somewhat notice their moods being weirdly in sync but... I guess maybe I just didn't want to accept it.

I'm looking over at Harper and Rowan now, seeing how they look at each other. I know deep down that they're both good people. And the way that they're looking at each other is how any one would want to be looked at. With love and respect.

The song ends and before I realize what I'm doing, I start walking over to where Harper and Rowan's table is.