A Cry in the Park - Part 17

While Louise was struggling with her first round of physical therapy, Linda had left the hospital, and made her way over to the fire station. She entered through the double doors, and made her way to the reception area, where a young woman was sitting behind the desk.

   "Can I help you, ma'am?" she smiled.

   "Yes, I'm looking for Patrick... Baker, and Simon Landon," Linda struggled to remember their names for a moment, but the lady didn't mind. "I'd like to speak with them, and thank them."

   "One moment, please," she said as she rose gracefully from her seat, and left through a side door. When she left, Linda wandered about the room, looking around her. It was a large room with tiled flooring; there were two sofas against one side, with a small coffee table bearing a vase of flowers, and several fluorescent ceiling lights made the room look very bright and cold.

The receptionist returned just them, with two men following her. Patrick and Simon recognised Linda immediately, and they both approached her, looking happy. They both looked a lot less stressed out since she had last seen them.

   "Hello!" Patrick grinned, and Linda just had to pull them into a hug.

   "I just wanted to thank you again for what you did," she said, trying not to cry.

   "We're just glad she got out of there," said Simon.

   "Louise is feeling better now," Linda told them, "so if you wanted, you both could come and see her some time; I'm sure she'd like to thank you herself."

   "Well, we'd love to," said Patrick. "I'm not sure just when right now, but we'll definitely come and see her."

   "That's great," Linda smiled.

   "We'd like to bring her a little gift. Is there anything she really likes?" asked Simon, and Linda looked a little taken aback.

   "No, you don't have to..." she began but she was cut off by Simon.

   "But we'd like to. What does she like?" 

Linda had to think for a moment.

   "Anything Japanese," she said; Louise had been a fan of Japanese culture, TV shows, and movies for years. She didn't know how it started, but it seemed there was no stopping her. Louise knew how you had to act in Japan, and where all the major anime theme parks were located, and what characters were there. She even knew a few phrases in Japanese.

   "Japanese, okay." Patrick made a mental note of it.

Both men were unable to visit that day, so the three made arrangements for them to come on Monday or Tuesday.

   "Great!" beamed Linda, pulling them into a hug once more. "We'll see you then!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While Linda was out, Louise was again taken to the hyperbaric chamber; Bob accompanied her this time.

Louise shook her head when she was, again, placed on the table that would put her inside the chamber.

   "I know you don't like it," said Robin, "but this is something that we need to do."

   "You've already done it once," said Louise. "Do you really have to do it again?"

   "Yes, we do; the more sessions you have, the faster you will heal." Robin noticed the little girl's apprehension. "Would you like to choose a DVD to watch?" she asked.