A Cry in the Park - Part 28

The Belchers take Tokyo!

   "Finally!" Bob flopped face-first onto the hotel bed, his eyes closed. "Never again," he moaned. "Never, ever again."

   "Cool, that means we get to live here," came Louise's voice from somewhere to his left.

   "No, Louise," he muttered, not having the strength to do anything else. Linda flopped down next to him.

   "Nobody talk," she whined, "I need sleep."

   "We all do," said Bob. "Kids, go to sleep."

Gene and Tina, exhausted from the flight, gladly climbed into the other double bed, but Louise was standing by the window.

   "I can see the Shibuya crossing!" she said, palms pressed against the glass. "It's so cool!"

   "Louise. Sleep. Now," was all Bob said, his face still buried in the mattress.

   "Dad, there's so much to do!"

   "We are not leaving this room until we've all had a proper sleep," said Bob, in a tone that indicated there was to be no negotiation, and Louise gave up, and climbed into the bed with her brother and sister, positioning herself in the middle.

Bob and Linda were utterly exhausted; they'd all slept on the plane, but they'd gotten lost on the way to their hotel and now, jet lag was taking its toll. Bob didn't even know what time or even what day it was.

He was awakened the following day several hours earlier than he would have liked by Louise opening the curtains, and the early morning sunlight poured in.

   "Come on, wake up!" she yelled. "We've only got four days; let's make the most of them!" She went over to the parents' bed and began bouncing her arms on it. Bob sat up, rubbing his eyes. Louise was already dressed and ready to go. "Come on, come on, come on!" she clapped her hands, going over to shake her siblings awake.

   "All right, we're up," said Bob, standing up and stretching.

   "Hurry up; we have stuff to do!" Louise called impatiently.

   "Don't worry, we've got plenty of time," said Linda, noticing the clock; not even 8am. "We're gonna have breakfast first."

   "We don't have time for breakfast!" Louise shrieked, dragging Tina out of bed and pushing her towards the bathroom.

   "We are not walking around Tokyo on empty stomachs, Miss Missy."

   "Okay, fine, whatever, but let's make it quick!"

When they were all dressed and ready to go, they made their way down to the hotel restaurant.

   "So, Louise, where are we going today?" Bob asked.

   "Harajuku," she replied; a place she'd always wanted to see. She had her Kuchi Kopi bag with her map, her list, their tickets, and her Japanese phrasebook.

Linda and Gene found their jaws agape when they first saw the colourful district that was Harajuku.

   "Oh, my God!" cried Gene, clutching his head, eyes wide. Even Louise was enjoying it. She had no interest in the fashion, but she just couldn't pass up the chance to go shopping in a real Japanese centre. Anime toys, DVDs, Kuchi Kopi merchandise; she was practically buzzing with excitement. Plus, Koji and Yuki liked it here.

   "Where shall we go first?" asked Linda, who had already taken out the video camera Teddy had lent them, and was filming, pausing to admire two brightly dressed teen girls. "Ooh, such pretty clothes, I love them!"