Chapter 2 - Boris: Otter and Shepherd

Chapter 2 - Boris: "Otter and Shepherd"

Boris didn't understand why he killed her. Well, he understood why he killed her. But he didn't understand why he killed her. Astrid Delaney, Water on Fire's manager. An innocent jaguar that didn't deserve what had happened to her. It was all his fault.

He hadn't known her well. Nick was closer to her than any of the band members. Boris often questioned if there was something more between them, but he knew Nick wasn't an idiot. He would never put the band in jeopardy for something silly like love. But he remembered that Nick told him she had worked hard in life to get where she was. The otter had taken that away from her.

And now, he was driving away erratically from the scene, covered in blood with loud music blaring on the car radio, nearly having a panic attack right there in the front seat. His eyes flicked up, and he looked into the tilted rearview mirror, seeing the twisted reflection that filled his entire body with hatred every time he saw it. It wasn't him. It was what was inside of him. What had made him steal Astrid's future.

"How could you make me do that?" Boris cried out, looking into the mirror, who just blinked back at him, black eyeliner seeming bolder than ever around his eyes. Specks of black blood covered the dark brown fur.

Then, the reflection spoke. "Because it needed to happen. I've manipulated the technology there to carry no memory of this event."

"But why her? She didn't deserve that!"

"You think I care?" The pseudo responded.

"You can't just make me kill random strangers?"

"I choose who I choose," his counterpart explained, then laughed. "It really is a shame. She was pretty, too."

Boris frowned. "Don't make me sick."

"It's best when pretty people die," the reflection said. "They look so beautiful when they scream, plus their blood feels the best against your flesh when it sinks into your fur."

"I hate you," the otter hissed.

"You're lucky I'm saving him for last." The dark form's pupils shifted to the left, looking into the seat next to Boris.

His head turned, and he glanced at the German shepherd he had previously knocked out and kidnapped. Just the implication of the future that was in store for him made Boris feel queasy. ". . . I know."

The dog's eyes flitted open slowly, and immediately he saw the cascading road before them. "What the . . . ? Where . . . ?" His head moved, and he saw Boris next to him, covered in crimson and breathing heavily. He was still wearing his black suit from their concert. The canine jumped, and he pressed himself back against the door. "What the hell?! Boris?! What the fuck's going on?!"

"Stop yelling, stop yelling!" Boris shouted back. "I can explain."

"You better fucking start!" Tyler yelled.

"Just calm down, and I will."

"How can I calm down when you look like that?!"

"I know! But at least let me tell you!"

"What the fuck happened?!"

Boris came to a red stoplight, and the car slowed to a halt. "I . . ." He took a moment to think, looking out the window at a collection of buildings and willing his mind to work. "Agh! How can I explain it properly?"

"By just telling me!" Tyler yelled. "I'm freaking out!"

"I know!" Boris sat back, frustrated that he couldn't properly find the words to explain. Or maybe, he was just too afraid to confront Tyler with that. He simply needed more time. "Just . . . let me get somewhere first."