Chapter 49 - Boris: Never Tear Us Apart

Chapter 49 - Boris: "Never Tear Us Apart"

Finding himself right back in the seat within Absalom's realm, it turned out that Boris was right about the demon wanting to meet him. Just like last time, the straps on the chair were open, meaning he could get up and roam if he desired.

The light flashed on behind him, painting that circle of white light that created the wall in front of him, the shadow of Absalom appearing with it. "Well, hello there, puppet!"

"Couldn't you at least wait until tomorrow?" Now that his hands were free, he crossed them over his chest, frowning.

Absalom sighed. "No. Even with all that you've been going through, work must go on. The vampires were a surprise, for sure, but none of them died and none of those caretakers were killed with the Blade of the Mirror, meaning they don't count."

Boris clenched his fists. "Fuck you!!! You're lucky I'm used to all this death now or I'd be losing it just like Molly!"

"Hush, puppet!" Absalom hissed. "I don't have time for you to yell at me! Happily, I was able to take you over and destroy those police officers with the Blade of the Mirror, so I thought I might be lenient and count the five of them. The power I feel is magnificent, and is definitely enough for us to finally bring King here."

"That . . . puppet thing?" Boris shuddered, pulling his feet up off the floor.

"He is not a puppet in the Mortal Realm," Absalom explained. The light on the wall shifted and formed into a large rectangle, with two doors appearing in the center. They were blank and didn't possess handles. A second later, they slowly swung inward, revealing more void that expanded on forever. A chair exactly like the one Boris was in skidded out of the darkness, stopping a few feet in front of him. There was no one inside, but it had straps all the same.

"Blink," said Absalom, and Boris did just that, now finding that an entire animal had appeared in the seat, arms and legs strapped to it as Boris had previously been. It was a handsome red fox with perfect orange fur, pure white on the bottom half of his face, sharp triangle ears, piercing brown eyes, the pointiest fangs, and a straight posture to die for. His clothes were very similar to Boris's in that the fox was wearing a black suit. Boris had never seen an animal as flawless as this in looks.

The fox looked around. "So it finally happened."

The shadow of Absalom moved as the doors closed and the light became a spotlight once more, following him. The dark figure moved to another wall where both Boris and King could move their heads and see him. "So you know I've been trying to reach you."

"Absolutely," King nodded. "But every time I would come here my body would feel like nothing, my arms pulled on strings. The first time, I could only see black, but the second time, I saw him." King pointed toward Boris, who slowly lowered his feet back onto the invisible ground.

"You were that thing?" Boris asked.

"I assume so if we saw each other. Tell me, how did it come so easy for you to get here?"

"It just happened," Boris told him. "One day, Absalom appeared to me, and then I was able to come here."

"Very interesting. You see, I've been trying to come up with a way to contact Absalom, as he's been calling to me."

"This is true," Absalom stated. "You are a vital part of my plans, King. I take it you are already ahead on your own?"

King grinned. "Yes. I am both Greed and Pride now. It took some experimenting to figure out how to transfer one's Soul to me, but I made a breakthrough using revised Mortal Guard extraction technology. What a beautiful day that was!"